Just using 2 row?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narl79

Reaction score
Have any of you guys ever made a beer just using 2 row? (And hops of course) if so how did it come out

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Most brewers do this at one time or another. Many traditional styles are made with only pale malt and hops. Also, one of the best things to learn about recipe formulation is to start with a SMaSH (Single malt and single hop) beer. I make and American pale ale with US 2 row malt and Cascade hops. It is one of my wife's favorites. To that you can add other malts and hops to make a variety of beers.

Ditto. SMaSH brewing is a great way to learn about what different types of yeasts can bring to the table, but also what hops are most suited to what you're trying to accomplish. Two row is probably the best tabula rasa (blank slate) for you to test out a new variety of hops or new yeast strain.

I have to agree about SMASH brewing
you remove everything and learn the basics like you can in no other way

kind of like how a Chef learns spice taste.

all of the specialty malts we use now days make brewing easy and have been developed to emulate different things done by different breweries. Breweries all had to malt their own grain before modern transportation made it simple to ship thousands of pounds of malted grain without spoilage.

So jump into a SMASH and once you do a few start formulating your own recipes using style guidelines. I can guarantee you will have a blast and drink a lot of beer doing so.

Well I know what im going to be doing Tuesday. Thanks guys

This is a great way to refine brewing processes. A very light beer where defects are more easily noted is the best way to really enhance one's technique. For example, altering grind settings to see the impact on lautering, yield, flavor, and fermentbility. Change fermentation temp by a couple degrees and see that impact. Continue to make other small adjustments to see what the impacts are. Then, apply the learnings where applicable. Happy Brewing.

Cream ales are also fun to brew up. They aren't too far removed from SMaSH.

I'm enjoying a Centennial SMaSH right now, in fact. Plain ol' American Two Row and all home grown hops. Very simple, very tasty...

Cheers!

Im glad I posted this. What I love most about brewing (besides the beer) is the experimentation of it. Ive done recipes and just thrown some things together all with good results. I think its time for me now to get down to the fundamentals and really know what and why im doing things. This is making me very excited for this new year of brewing and learning as much as I can.

Back