Just tried Blue Moon for the first and last time.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OswaldvW

Reaction score
I just tried Blue Moon for the first and last time. Does anyone know why this stuff actually sells? It tastes like an alcoholic version of an orange soda. It's nothing like a Belgian Wheat ale. As a "crafty" ale, I think this beer really misses the mark.

I used to enjoy it before I discovered real craft beer. I live in AL so that was only fairly recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Well, I guess if my only other choice was a BMC_Light, I think I would have another Blue Moon.

Blue moon used to be my go to "craft" beer, it's actually what got me into craft beer. I got a case of it a few weeks ago cuz it sounded good and I was very disappointed. It didn't taste nearly as good as I remembered it tasting. Same happened w some shock top my sister brought over last time they helped me brew, it just wasn't like I remembered. I was already a few IPA's deep tho, so I'm sure that had at least a little bit to do w it.

Back in the day Blue Moon was some of the best stuff out there. I guess it just shows how bad things used to be . . . And how much better they are now. I haven't had a Blue Moon in years. I'm sure I've outgrown it, but it doesn't feel right to knock it, either.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I tend to agree with you. I like beer to taste like...well...beer. My girlfriend loves it, but there's not enough in the beer for me to stick around.

Eh - not my favorite beer, but it's far from the worst. If you are going for a traditional wit, it's obviously too sweet and doesn't have any belgian character. It's more of an american wheat with lots of orange. There have been many times where I was thrilled to see it on tap at a BMC bar/event though.

Back in college we called Blue Moon "chick beer".

I don't hate the stuff, but all in all it's pretty boring. I'd never pay for it, but if someone offers it to me, I won't turn it down.

I only buy it if there's only BMC available. It's OK, but far from great.

Try their Honey Wheat. I like that one. But I'd still take an IPA or stout over it just about every time. But it's what prompted me to brew my own version.

I also used to drink the stuff all the time. Now my brother always has it on hand and my parents buy it whenever there is a family gathering. And I can't stand it. Too fake tasting guess. Theres a great thread around here where one of the original brewers of Blue Moon chips in. Good stuff. But I'd rather drink coors lite than blue moon these days. It HAS been the gateway beer to craft beer for probably tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of people, so I hate to knock it too much.

Shock Top though, that stuff is just way too obvious. I do wish that crap would go away.

I enjoy it to a point. I actually just brewed a clone with my MIL for mother's day. It was her request. It's a spiced american wheat ale that uses a neutral yeast. I think if you think of it like that and not as a belgian beer, you might be able to appreciate it a bit more.

There is a thread with over 250k views with info about the beer, its ingredients, and a bit of its history. One of the original brewers of the beer provides a ton of info.

I've personally never been a big fan of blue moon. Regardless, I definetly don't think "orange soda" when I have had it.

I just tried Blue Moon for the first and last time. Does anyone know why this stuff actually sells? It tastes like an alcoholic version of an orange soda. It's nothing like a Belgian Wheat ale. As a "crafty" ale, I think this beer really misses the mark.

Friends don't let friends become beer snobs. Stop it. Stop it right now.

It sells because people like it, and it's not Bud Light.

I've never been a fan of regular Blue Moon (some of their seasonal offerings are ok), but my wife likes it a lot, and I don't try to stop her. Never really thought of it tasting like orange soda though. I feel like I'd like it more if it did.

Friends don't let friends become beer snobs. Stop it. Stop it right now.

It sells because people like it, and it's not Bud Light.

I don't think the OP is becoming a beer snob just for not liking this beer. But you're right that it appeals to tons of people. It's kind of an interesting beer in that it is one of those that sits on the fence between BMC and craft beer. I'm sure lots of people would argue it belongs to one side or the other. I think one of the things that bugs me personally about this beer is the idea that a "clean" witbier should be created. Why not just make a true wit instead of a wit with American yeast and "fill in" the taste with orange flavor? Of course millions of $$ in sales explains why I'm wrong about that. My tastes have clearly evolved in the past few years when I used to drink Blue Moon all the time.

:DWait, a thread on HBT started by someone who hates beer x, because they have "discovered" craft beer and thus can't enjoy a beer because it doesn't cost $12 a sixer? Shocking.

I might go home tonight and toast this thread with a can of PBR from the 18 pack my wife bought me yesterday...:D

It's not a craft beer, but it's usually the only ale on tap at a dive bar. For that, it gets a little credit.

I don't think the OP is becoming a beer snob just for not liking this beer. But you're right that it appeals to tons of people. It's kind of an interesting beer in that it is one of those that sits on the fence between BMC and craft beer. I'm sure lots of people would argue it belongs to one side or the other. I think one of the things that bugs me personally about this beer is the idea that a "clean" witbier should be created. Why not just make a true wit instead of a wit with American yeast and "fill in" the taste with orange flavor? Of course millions of $$ in sales explains why I'm wrong about that. My tastes have clearly evolved in the past few years when I used to drink Blue Moon all the time.

He's becoming a beer snob because he doesn't understand why it sells so well.

Taste buds vary from person to person and tastes vary at various times in a person's life. I don't give my sons crap for liking BMC products, because most people their age like BMC products. I would, however, give my sons crap if they refused to try the beers I make / buy. I used to like Leinie's Summer Shandy, but now it tastes like lemon furniture polish to me. Don't berate a person's beer choices. Berate them if they refuse to try new beers.

He's becoming a beer snob because he doesn't understand why it sells so well.

Taste buds vary from person to person and tastes vary at various times in a person's life. I don't give my sons crap for liking BMC products, because most people their age like BMC products. I would, however, give my sons crap if they refused to try the beers I make / buy. I used to like Leinie's Summer Shandy, but now it tastes like lemon furniture polish to me. Don't berate a person's beer choices. Berate them if they refuse to try new beers.

Maybe don't berate them at all?

Let's find a better definition of beer snob than wondering aloud why people like a certain beer. By your own definition you're a beer snob! The OP wasn't refusing to try new beers, quite the opposite. He tried a nee beer and wondered what others saw in it.

Maybe don't berate them at all?

Let's find a better definition of beer snob than wondering aloud why people like a certain beer. By your own definition you're a beer snob! The OP wasn't refusing to try new beers, quite the opposite. He tried a nee beer and wondered what others saw in it.

Definition of a beer geek: caring about what beer they drink.
Definition of a beer snob: caring about what other people drink.

I don't care about what other beer drinkers drink, but I do care about what other beer drinkers refuse to try. I'm an advocate for the whole universe of beer, not just certain parts of it. You don't like a beer? That's fine. That doesn't mean it's a bad beer.

Definition of a beer geek: caring about what beer they drink.

Definition of a beer snob: caring about what other people drink.

I don't care about what other beer drinkers drink, but I do care about what other beer drinkers refuse to try. I'm an advocate for the whole universe of beer, not just certain parts of it. You don't like a beer? That's fine. That doesn't mean it's a bad beer.

Ok, but by giving the OP a hard time for saying he doesn't like a beer doesn't that make you a beer snob by your own definition? He's not free to say he doesn't like Blue Moon? Or is it not ok for him to post his opinion of it on a beer forum? Just wondering. He hasn't refused to try it, which would make him a beer snob by your definition, he's expressed his opinion about it. So should we all keep our opinions to ourselves abut what we like/dislike as to avoid being beer snobs?

Ok, but by giving the OP a hard time for saying he doesn't like a beer doesn't that make you a beer snob by your own definition? He's not free to say he doesn't like Blue Moon? Or is it not ok for him to post his opinion of it on a beer forum? Just wondering. He hasn't refused to try it, which would make him a beer snob by your definition, he's expressed his opinion about it. So should we all keep our opinions to ourselves abut what we like/dislike as to avoid being beer snobs?

His original criticism was that it is "nothing like a belgian wheat ale" and that it "tastes like orange juice"

I think that is a fair criticism and with the official recommendation to squeeze an orange in the beer, plus the sweet orange in the beer, plus the citrus tones of coriander, saying it tastes like orange juice, though a bit dramatic, is fair enough imo.

In Blue moon's defense, I doubt wit yeasts were even commercially available when this beer was first brewed in the mid 90s. And coriander and orange ARE used in "Belgian wheat" ales.

His original criticism was that it is "nothing like a belgian wheat ale" and that it "tastes like orange juice"

I think that is a fair criticism and with the official recommendation to squeeze an orange in the beer, plus the sweet orange in the beer, plus the citrus tones of coriander, saying it tastes like orange juice, though a bit dramatic, is fair enough imo.

In Blue moon's defense, I doubt wit yeasts were even commercially available when this beer was first brewed in the mid 90s. And coriander and orange ARE used in "Belgian wheat" ales.

Due to the higher body and what seems like at least a TRACE of belgian fruitiness (I mean really an iota), it's at least better than most large-scale commercial (even some craft) American wheats, when it's fresh and on tap. Usually it is not fresh at all, and it is truly terrible when it's stale or poured through dirty lines. I have had it from dirty lines so often I would sooner order bad lager at most bars. Sure beats the **** out of Shock Top, though, as mainstream wheats go (utter swill).

I'm glad to hear you think I'm adding to this discussion. Because it... isn't... opposite day.

Ok, but by giving the OP a hard time for saying he doesn't like a beer doesn't that make you a beer snob by your own definition?

The point: Maybe you're the beer snob for calling him the beer snob for calling the other guy the beer snob. Or maybe I'm the beer snob for saying that. Or maybe...

I think the time-space continuum is at risk here. Glad to have had the opportunity to contribute to this fascinating *falls asleep mid-sentence*

I wouldn't want to risk the space-time continuum! Not for Blue Moon anyways... oops! Can't criticize anything or I risk being a beer snob. Dang, this is a viscous circle!

Blue moon is good that's why it sells. It's a fairly unique beer and it's easily accessible. Throw a slice of orange in one on the tap and enjoy.

Maybe the other beers you're comparing it to just miss the mark of Blue Moon's excellence. Don't be scared, kick one back and enjoy. Just tell your friends that means more Stone 500IBU quadruple dank p.a. for them. A real mans beer should only taste like hop oil.

I don't know why people often confuse smaller macro breweries with craft breweries... sorry bud but blue moon may not be as big as BMC but it is certainly not craft beer.

My mother in law bought a 12 pack of it when she was last visiting. It was about a year ago and we still have some of it left. I throw it in the cooler when I go boating hoping it's someone"s thing and they will drink it. We still have 5 left.

There's a difference between saying, "I don't like a particular beer" and "I don't understand why anyone likes this beer." The second one implies that people that have tastes that differ from him have inferior taste buds.

I'd never pay for it, but if someone offers it to me, I won't turn it down.
If we're out somewhere and my Mrs orders one for me whilst I'm in the bathroom, I'll drink it, of course, but wouldn't order one myself. I guess it's "different enough" in a non-offensive (boring) way that it will get some folks drinking it, but....it's pretty lame

I don't know why people often confuse smaller macro breweries with craft breweries... sorry bud but blue moon may not be as big as BMC but it is certainly not craft beer.

Blue Moon Brewing Co. is MillerCoors, actually. It's just something they put on the market in the 90s to tap into craft or craft-like beer sales.

Back