Just thought i'd post this about yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i didn't know this, but apparently...you can ferment plain sugar water without nutrients added, if you pitch enough yeast into it...

i just did two batches 10 gallons at 1.055, 1.058...pitched 3/4 cup on dry active dry yeast into both 5 days ago...they are now at 0.992 nothing but the insanely big yeast pitched into them...

just a FYI for this site to have on record... (got the idea from another site)

Okay, now what? Distill it to make rum or vokda? Carbon-filter it to remove all the color and flavor, then carbonate it for something like White Claw? As-is it probably tastes like crap, but it might be okay for mixing cocktails where you can overpower it with fruit juices, bitters, and liquor.

but it might be okay for mixing cocktails where you can overpower it with fruit juices

that's what i do....thought it might be a useful point of trivia for someone in the future...and honestly that what i assumed way back when, when i got sorta cut off from malt, bought a still to distill the stuff without ever trying it. for one reason or another a few months back, circumstances had me actually taste it...it really just tastes like water.....

you can ferment plain sugar water without nutrients added, if you pitch enough yeast into it...
Probably works, because with a large pitch as such the yeast doesn't have to replicate, or not very much.
Did you add any oxygen to it?

How are you going to get the yeast out?

Probably works, because with a large pitch as such the yeast doesn't have to replicate, or not very much.
Did you add any oxygen to it?

How are you going to get the yeast out?

it was aereated pretty vigorusly, and flocculation?

(note to mods...i wasn't quite sure where to post this...here, soda, or distilling. just thought the knowledge might come in handy for someone else, and wanted the omni present google to have it indexed for them)

I gathered you used baker's yeast. Or was this from a bulk pack of US-05?
Isn't bakers' (bread) yeast a notoriously low flocculator?

yeah....i might have to switch to 500g packs of wine yeast. and see if i can get away with just a 1/2 cup of yeast.

but yes to z-bob, this is basically hard seltzer. which doesn't have a dedicated forum.... :mug:

and i just tasted it again to double check that it's pretty much flavorless. yep i can tell it's 8% ABV, but other then that...that's all i can tell!
Flavorless might be useful. I assumed it would kinda be ass-flavored. :goat: (I know that's a goat, it's the closest thing I could find) :)

Flavorless might be useful. I assumed it would kinda be ass-flavored. :goat: (I know that's a goat, it's the closest thing I could find) :)

that's what i always assumed too, why i have a 7 gallon 6ft still....i mean i wouldn't drink it straight up, just like i wouldn't drink plain vodka...but? (pun un intended lol)

anyway, pitch a lot of yeast, and sugar water will ferment. what/why anyone would find knowing that useful, i'm not sure! but....

1663014463049.png

:mug:

I overheard the one guy at the distillery near me saying that that’s how they made their product. Was basically a high proof sugar wash that they then added their flavoring components to when they make their flavored shines.

Latest posts

Back