just thinking about an all grain batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trogdor447

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm debating whether or not i should jump into it. I dont have the equipment to do 5g all grain brewing.. however I can certainly do 2.5 gallon batches which would be sufficient for me. It also seems there will be less 'wasted' if i am terrible at it :)

looking @ some of the forums it seems about 2lbs of grain to 1 gallon of brew - I'm estimating about 4 lbs of base grain + 1 lb of specialty.. + a hop addition . The grain comes cheap my LHS has bags of it and sells it by the lbs and mills it from there.

I would assume its in my best interest to get a nylon bag? I have a metal Colander that i can let it drip out into the brew pot with as well.

This looks like it will drastically reduce the costs of brewing. :)

Find a 5 gallon recipe you like and just cut it in half. BIAB is a great way to go about all grain to start.

2.5 gal batches are an awesome way to learn the process and to experiment with recipes. It's exactly how I learned. As mentioned above, just halve a 5 gal recipe. You'll wind up with about 24 or so bottles.

All grain makes a huge difference in the taste of the beer you brew. If you do it right, you will not be disappointed. my Recommendations: our temps get a accurate durable thermometer that wont break in the middle of the brew process. watch your temps closely. use strike water online temp calculator so you get "in the ball park" mash temps. which will avoid you getting a head ache. if possible buy a cheap ph meter. buy water salts and/or water ph adjustment chemicals. read this sticky on water chemistry, it makes a big difference.https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/brewing-water-chemistry-primer-198460/

All grain makes a huge difference in the taste of the beer you brew. If you do it right, you will not be disappointed. my Recommendations: our temps get a accurate durable thermometer that wont break in the middle of the brew process. watch your temps closely. use strike water online temp calculator so you get "in the ball park" mash temps. which will avoid you getting a head ache. if possible buy a cheap ph meter. buy water salts and/or water ph adjustment chemicals. read this sticky on water chemistry, it makes a big difference.https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/brewing-water-chemistry-primer-198460/

Well i have totally neutral water.. I have a RO/DI unit for my fish tank that is what i use to brew with anyway.. So always have premium water... My Temperature i have the digital probe thermometer and all that good jaz.

I'm very well versed w/ quality of water :)

Well, you coudl easily do 2.5 gallon batches, no problem. OR you could brew a double-strength batch and dilute with some clean water at the end, just like extract. Let's say you wanted a 5 % beer. Just brew a wort for a 10% beer and add water til you get twice the volume. Or brew 8% and dilute till you get to the gravity you want. It doesn't have to be double.

Or you could do a regular strength mash and then add some DME to up the gravity before diluting.

BIAB is practical on the equipment you have now, just have to get a paint strainer bag big enough for your grains.

Well, you coudl easily do 2.5 gallon batches, no problem. OR you could brew a double-strength batch and dilute with some clean water at the end, just like extract. Let's say you wanted a 5 % beer. Just brew a wort for a 10% beer and add water til you get twice the volume. Or brew 8% and dilute till you get to the gravity you want. It doesn't have to be double.

Or you could do a regular strength mash and then add some DME to up the gravity before diluting.

BIAB is practical on the equipment you have now, just have to get a paint strainer bag big enough for your grains.

Nice i have the standard 1.00 grain bags for the mini mash etc, the one I have holds upwards of 5 lbs.. but I dont think i'd fill it to the brim and use it for 10 different batches kind of deal.. That is not a bad idea of making a super concentrate and watering it down. I'm sure it will be a little bit off based on a true 5g all grain batch. But decent beer no less..

sweet i may go get all the stuff to do my first all grain batch next week. Too much happening this weekend to consider trying it out yet. Thankfully I have a pipeline to drink :)

Back