Just thinkin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MULE

Reaction score
I brewed my stout this past Friday and all seems well. While gazing at the carboy just a few minutes ago I began to wonder..... dry hop....or not.

It's a five gallon batch of chocolate stout. I have 3oz of Amarillo in the freezer and I was thinking about dropping an oz in the carboy in a few weeks.

Amarillo hops have a great aroma so I thought it would be cool.

Cool or not cool?

Yes.... I am drinkin

Stouts generally don't have late hop additions. There are exceptions of course, but normally you would just add bittering hops at 60 minutes. Dry hopping is outside the style.

Ick. Dry hops in a chocolate stout are not only out of style, but will not complement the chocolate/roast flavors you've likely worked so hard to create. I wouldn't do it.

You do something (make beer) and then you sit around for sooo long that crazy ideas pop into your head and start to germinate.

Don't do it. It's just a crazy thought. You'll feel better once it goes away. You'll thank us when you crack open the first one...

Yuri_Rage said:
Ick. Dry hops in a chocolate stout are not only out of style, but will not complement the chocolate/roast flavors you've likely worked so hard to create. I wouldn't do it.

I agree, you will want a low hop aroma for the chocolate stout. Chocolate being the desirable flavoring, not some much the hops.

MULE said:
I brewed my stout this past Friday and all seems well. While gazing at the carboy just a few minutes ago I began to wonder..... dry hop....or not.

It's a five gallon batch of chocolate stout. I have 3oz of Amarillo in the freezer and I was thinking about dropping an oz in the carboy in a few weeks.

Amarillo hops have a great aroma so I thought it would be cool.

Cool or not cool?

Yes.... I am drinkin
I need some Amarillo I think to make sure you dont think about this again you should send ME the hops and I will guard them in my beer uh... I mean with my life ya ya thats it
PM me for address
JJ

Back