Just started brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oaney

Reaction score
Hello everybody, here's my story. A few weeks ago I started a Mr. Beer kit, and it didn't come out quite right, though I am in the middle of trying to save the batch. As soon as I racked my wort in the fermenter for the first time I was hooked. I ran right out to a few LHBS's and picked myself up a simple 5 gallon equipment starters set, and 2 ingredient kits. I am currently working on sucking down sam adams and other local brews in an effort to collect bottles :drunk: haha.

Well tonight I brewed up a 5 gallon batch of True Brew: Red Ale. I just racked the wort into the fermenter and it's now sitting comfortably in the basement between 62-65 degrees. Tonight I am also going to open the 2nd bottle (of 8) from the Mr. Beer Kit. I split the 8 bottles into 2 groups of 4 each. I refrigerated half and stuck the other half in the basement. The first beer was sweet and flat, so I'm thinking I didn't let it sit to carbonate long enough. Tonight I am going to open one that carbonated a week longer in the basement.

Oh yeah also, I found this website by running many google searches on different homebrew topics and questions, and this board was consistently in the highest ranked results. I figured it would be a great community to supplement my new found interest in addition to advice from my LHBS.

Cheers!

i started with a Mr beer kit as well. that was in March. I'm now sitting at 63 gallons brewed through July. it's incredibly addictive. by far the best advice i can give you is to sit on things longer and have patience. longer primaries than the 7 days the kits and Mr beer directions call for has improved things. longer bottling conditioning though is the best thing you can do. my biggest regret is drinking a beer after one or two weeks post bottling now that i've tasted how great they become after a month. the taste improves so much it's hard to believe. Sam Adams and Grolsch bootless are amazing. other than the weight gain, three hobby is glorious. welcome, and happy brewing.

Latest posts

Back