Just planted some barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

signpost

Reaction score
Well, I just planted about 400 square feet with UC Tahoe Malting barley from Hearne Seed. I've grown barley before, but this is about 4 times as much as the last time I tried it.

This is also a little earlier than I was able to plant before. Although, I still wish I had been able to plant 2 or 3 weeks earlier. Oh well.

Feel free to add your own barley growing stories and pictures.
IMG_20180421_130938.jpeg

Looking forward to seeing some progression photos of your field

Its sort of a dream of mine to make a truly from scratch beer. There’s just so much that goes into it though. It seems like you could take years to get good at malting and I haven’t ever even grown anything for myself. When I was a kid my folks had a garden and I love picking and eating wild food when it’s available. But a true scratch beer would be an uphill battle for me. I have thought about using the mesquite pods from the tree in my back yard and local corn to make a Cave Creek version of Chicha.

The Tom had it made with the first planting. Additional planting were met with birds, mice and voles. My first test. Next season raised beds with netting
IMG_20180420_074308-01.jpeg
1525609029433.jpeg
1525609004903.jpeg

The 4 rows on the right side are the barley. The 2 rows on the left are wheat. Growing pretty well so far, with the rain we've had recently. There are sprinklers set up with a timer when I need them.

The 4 rows on the right side are the barley. The 2 rows on the left are wheat. Growing pretty well so far, with the rain we've had recently. There are sprinklers set up with a timer when I need them.
There was supposed to be a picture with that. Let's see if it works this time. Ah, it was too big of a file. Here we go.
FB_IMG_1525636968922.jpeg

You can see that each row has to distinct rows within it. That was caused by my planting technique. I haven't had good luck in the past with just spreading seed and raking it in, so I went a different route.

Using a hoe, I basically pull a layer of soil from one half of the row to the other side. Spread seed where I pulled it from. Then pull the soil back to cover that seed. Along with replacing the soil, I pull over a layer of soil from the second side. Then spread seed on that side and pull an even layer of soil back over that.

This ends up with maybe a little deeper sowing than is typically recommended, but as you can see in the picture it hasn't hindered sprouting. Also, sowing a little deeper helps thwart birds or other pests that can easily find the seed if it is just lightly raked into the soil.

Its sort of a dream of mine to make a truly from scratch beer. There’s just so much that goes into it though. It seems like you could take years to get good at malting and I haven’t ever even grown anything for myself. When I was a kid my folks had a garden and I love picking and eating wild food when it’s available. But a true scratch beer would be an uphill battle for me. I have thought about using the mesquite pods from the tree in my back yard and local corn to make a Cave Creek version of Chicha.

You'll like this blog then : https://growingbeer.co.uk/

He aimed to make a beer completely from scratch, including harvesting yeast from his plot - he ended up getting quite a bit of publicity and so got help from eg a local university for yeast wrangling and Crisp offered to malt his barley etc.

Latest posts

Back