Just kidding, I’m dumb and forgot to convert refractometer to post fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewth1

Reaction score
Hey so I’ve been letting a omega hothead yeast (a kveik that enjoys 80f+) chew through a tart cherry apple cider, but it’s been very slow. Like .025 sg points down in two weeks slow. This yeast was able to attenuate to 65% in moderately heavy beer in 3 days. I know I underpitched because I was hoping for the honey and stone fruit yeast flavors to compliment the cider. I’m not sure if I underpitched too much or if the solution is too acidic for the yeast.

I have the rest of my starter in the fridge so I could warm her up and throw in some more yeast, I’m just worried about adding too much wort flavor from the starter. If it is too acidic for the yeast I’d need some advice on fixing that. I could move the fermentor outside and that should warm things up and should make things faster.

Store bought juice?

Double check the label for no preservatives.

Just kidding, I’m dumb and forgot to run my refractometer reading though the empirical calculator for post ferm numbers. It’s now at an equivalent of 1.004

Back