Just had the most horrific expireince

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon16166

Reaction score
I was getting ready to bottle one small batch of cider. While I was taking the bung off the whole neck of the growler broke off causing tiny pieces of glass to go everywhere. I knew I couldnt just bottle it because of the glass. not wanting to dump it, I let it settle then drained it through coffee strainers until I had an extra sanitized growler filled with it.

My question is, did the filtering cause too much oxygen to get in the cider? (imagine coffee brewing and dripping a a small stream)

Should I just back sweeten and consume? or is there any other option.

All I have on hand is campden tablets and yeast nutrients... that makes sulfites right?

A campden tablet would kill the yeast wouldnt it?

After reading a bit it seems a campden tablet will work? Will this stop oxidation and fermentation? or just oxidation? I added a bit of honey with a plan to drink now. but if I can throw in a tablet and have it ferment again then I would do that. If not Ill start pouring glasses!

Yup a campden tablet is sulfites, but you oxygenated it A LOT by running it through that filter. My advice: consume sooner rather than later.

Sorry to hear about the growler, that must have been scary!

Well, I guess I wont complain about drinking it but I also wish I could have let it aged a bit. Next time

Since you added the honey, the oxygen might now be a problem. The yeast might use it up while fermenting the honey.

If you're worried, just add the campden and consider the honey as back sweetener..

I wish I could have let it age a bit, but I also wont complain about drinking it. Although it tastes like bush beer right now..... Its ok because I made it and its my child! haha.

Id like to make a beer next. Maybe Ill make another gallon of cider and a brew up a beer. I do still have my bottles I did bottle, (a different batch that wasnt messed up) hopefully they carb up and taste a bit better.

If it were me I'd toss it all. Heck, it's only a growlers worth...why risk ingesting glass shards???

!!!!!!!!!!

glass.jpg

Well I doubt any glass made it through a coffee filter. But I also only had two growlers worth. A month of waiting for my first batch is enough for me to take a chance.

Oxidation going to be an issue to as well as potential infection. Did you sanitize your filters?

No I didn't sanitize my filters. I have it at about 25 degrees right now. Planned on drinking it today. Should it still be good today? How long until you think it would be bad to drink?

I decided to freeze it once so that it was a little bit more worth it to drink, since it didnt taste good at all. It made it a bit better tasting, as well as boosting the alcohol. Hopefully my next one turns out better. Im still proud that I made this though.

Back