Just got my Sept/October Zymurgy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
And there is @Bobby_M on page 58, accepting the Gambrinus Club Award for his club, the WHALES.

I see lots of other familiar faces and friends in this issue also, as it is covering the beers and awards from this year's NHC.

It's awesome seeing you guys in print! Congrats.

Is that you @yooper , presenting all the awards? Looks like a blast. Hope to go some day. loads of great recipes in it this month too.

Is that you @yooper , presenting all the awards? Looks like a blast. Hope to go some day. loads of great recipes in it this month too.

Haha, no that's Janis Gross. She is an employee of the AHA, and she hands out the awards. I didn't even go to that this year- I went out with some of the HBT folks for dinner and joined up with the others after. It's a nice awards banquet, but for $60 and hours of sitting around, I can do better than that.

@kev211 picked me up and drove me to Stone Liberty Station, and we met up with BSDX and I think Brewbien(?) and another guy that I met at the bar earlier. He was attending the NHC and he approached me at Stone, recognizing me I guess. We had a great time, but I forget his HBT ID.

Anyway, as far as awards banquets go, it's very nice. But unless you are in the running for a medal, it's about 5 hours of boring to me. I usually have some fun tablemates, but I'd still rather go out for a much cheaper dinner and lots of fun. I think it's worth doing once or twice, but lately it's more fun for me to go out with friends and visit local brewpubs and breweries, and catch up with the others later.

Anyway, the recipes are always great in that issue, and it's fun to see old friends (like @Bobby_M who I think I met in 2010) and new friends from this year in the issue. I'm a member of ZEALOTS, and Mark Schoppe won Ninkasi this year, and that was great (I was drinking his beer with him earlier) and last year @AZ_IPA won Ninkasi, and he shares too. It's a great time with some of the greatest people you'll find.

Baltimore 2016!

Haha, no that's Janis Gross. She is an employee of the AHA, and she hands out the awards. I didn't even go to that this year- I went out with some of the HBT folks for dinner and joined up with the others after. It's a nice awards banquet, but for $60 and hours of sitting around, I can do better than that.

@kev211 picked me up and drove me to Stone Liberty Station, and we met up with BSDX and I think Brewbien(?) and another guy that I met at the bar earlier. He was attending the NHC and he approached me at Stone, recognizing me I guess. We had a great time, but I forget his HBT ID.

Anyway, as far as awards banquets go, it's very nice. But unless you are in the running for a medal, it's about 5 hours of boring to me. I usually have some fun tablemates, but I'd still rather go out for a much cheaper dinner and lots of fun. I think it's worth doing once or twice, but lately it's more fun for me to go out with friends and visit local brewpubs and breweries, and catch up with the others later.

Anyway, the recipes are always great in that issue, and it's fun to see old friends (like @Bobby_M who I think I met in 2010) and new friends from this year in the issue. I'm a member of ZEALOTS, and Mark Schoppe won Ninkasi this year, and that was great (I was drinking his beer with him earlier) and last year @AZ_IPA won Ninkasi, and he shares too. It's a great time with some of the greatest people you'll find.

Baltimore 2016!

Sorry, I should have known your face better after reading your Brew and A some time back. Is that the Austin Zealots you're a member of? Saw Mark Schoppe's name in the results of the first comp I just entered here in Texas. he sure does win a lot. His beers must be amazing.

Definitely gotta get to an NHC one day. Not sure I'll get a pass anytime soon with a 1 and 3 year old here. I think my days would be numbered if I tried that with my tolerant wife (does not drink beer). Hey, I'm off for a few days of beer and fun. Look after the little ones for me.:cross:

The insane thing was that I was the last member of my club left at the conference after two others had to leave early and I didn't even have a banquet ticket. At the last minute I scribbled up a "need one ticket" sign and paced the long line of people waiting to get in and I scored! I have to admit I felt a little like a poser since I personally did not have any role in the Gambrinus win but after thinking about it, I paid my dues serving on the board for several years and it might as well have been me. Hey, better than no one!

The insane thing was that I was the last member of my club left at the conference after two others had to leave early and I didn't even have a banquet ticket. At the last minute I scribbled up a "need one ticket" sign and paced the long line of people waiting to get in and I scored! I have to admit I felt a little like a poser since I personally did not have any role in the Gambrinus win but after thinking about it, I paid my dues serving on the board for several years and it might as well have been me. Hey, better than no one!

Yep.

Sorry, I should have known your face better after reading your Brew and A some time back. Is that the Austin Zealots you're a member of? Saw Mark Schoppe's name in the results of the first comp I just entered here in Texas. he sure does win a lot. His beers must be amazing.

Definitely gotta get to an NHC one day. Not sure I'll get a pass anytime soon with a 1 and 3 year old here. I think my days would be numbered if I tried that with my tolerant wife (does not drink beer). Hey, I'm off for a few days of beer and fun. Look after the little ones for me.:cross:

Yep. I have friends in the Zealots, and since they have no rules, no dues, and no restrictions, I am a member. :D I called myself one and so that is all that counts. I even walked around the NHC with the big horns that I think started on @mchrispen and ended up on my head. :D

To be fair, you and Janis are about the same size...

I wonder where those horns ended up... they didn't make it back with me. Yeah for cheap plastic!

Mark won his second Ninkasi and it was cool to see him and @AZ_IPA congratulate each other. Must be the @Soper bump.

To be fair, you and Janis are about the same size...

I wonder where those horns ended up... they didn't make it back with me. Yeah for cheap plastic!

Mark won his second Ninkasi and it was cool to see him and @AZ_IPA congratulate each other. Must be the @Soper bump.

I gave them back to you, because they kept falling off every time I moved my head. I guess I have a petite head. :D Janis I think is a midget, or at least extremely petite. I'm a hulk compared to her, although in an area filled with 250 pound guys all carrying backpacks, I could have used a lot more size.

I know we talked about this before, but when my friend Sandy is here this weekend, I'm going to bring it up with her. (She is an officer with the BJCP as well as on the AHA Governing Committee). I'm going to politely mention to her that anybody that is over 5'9" who is wearing a backpack is directly at face/shoulder level with anybody shorter.

Then, when said backpack wearer weighs 200+ pounds, or even lots more, and then packs it as if they are hiking the Andes- well, they are dangerous to some of us! A few times, those backpack wearing gorillas turned quickly and knocked me around quite a bit. I had bruises where I got smacked by them. One time, I even got knocked to the ground by a 250+ pounder's backpack as he was making a quick move for a special beer.

I think the rule needs to be:
NO FILLED BACKPACKS TO BE WORN IN A HUGE CROWD

In retrospect, I should have kept the horns and just gored those jerks that got in my way.:rockin:

Always one of my favorite issues of the year. Tons of great recipes to try! Congrats to all the winners!!!!

Latest posts

Back