Just got asked to make a beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhelegda

Reaction score
So my neighbor is having a party on Sept 6 and asked me to make a keg. Not a lot of time. But I have one in the fermenter I could have ready, how long does it take carb with priming sugar?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you've got the ability to force carb then you'll be good to go. If you have to condition with priming sugar, you'll really be pushing it. I usually allow 3 weeks before thinking anything is properly carbed, plus an extra few days in the fridge after that to dissolve all the CO2.

Thank the neighbor asking and tell him you would be happy to make beer for his next party with the appropriate lead time. This is like asking someone to knit you a Christmas sweater on December 20th.

So my neighbor is having a party on Sept 6 and asked me to make a keg. Not a lot of time. But I have one in the fermenter I could have ready, how long does it take carb with priming sugar?

Since it sounds like you don't have the ability to force carb, how about asking them to spring for one of those $15 CO2 charges that you can carbonate a keg with?

No I can force carb...but the mid only have one beer on tap instead of two.

I think wheat beers or nut brown ales are the two best when it comes to needing to push one out quick... I'd go with a bavarian hefeweizen, simple and straightforward, with a blowoff tube and a double-pitch (or starter) of WLP300

I have a Bavarian in the fermenter that I am donating to the cause.

I think you can carb with priming sugar in 10 days if you keep the keg at around 70F, then chill for a few days and shake to get the CO2 in the headspace into solution.

The good news with a hefe is that you don't need to worry about dropping the yeast, and there's a nice collection of yeast in suspension to carb up the beer.

If you have the ability to keep the bottles at 75-80oF they should be perfectly carbonated in 7-10 days easily with proper amount of priming sugar.

last hefe i brewed was good and carbed after 7 days using just sugar but was still a little green. after 10 days it was perfect.

If you have the ability to keep the bottles at 75-80oF they should be perfectly carbonated in 7-10 days easily with proper amount of priming sugar.

He's doing this in a keg.

If you can force carb then do it. Even if it means taking one of your two beers off tap, if that's what I understand you have to do.

Ya a keg will naturally prime as well like I suggested but if you can force carb it in a few days I'm not sure what the issue is really:confused:

Take a keg off the tap, force carb the one you need and you're done;)

Sent from the Commune

Latest posts

Back