just got accused

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the correct way to handle the matter.
It's not that hard to have at least neutral relations with people, and hopefully even better. This is nothing ever gained by having bad relations with neighbors.

You want to impress them? Starte telling them about the purposes of different rests during the All Grain process. How different enzymes need different temperatures nd Ph ranges, and how they target different sugars.
Give them some hops to smell, tell them its the flowe of a vine, and how its used to flavor beer.

Also tell them that you don't distill anything, and thats what moonshine is

My kids even know this (to an extent). They are 13(daughter) and 10(son). You should have seen the look on my son's science teacher's face at the last conference when I said that he is a very capable brewer. Even better was the look on other parents faces when he entered a mini-mini working model of the HERMS system we built together at home in the science fair(minus the fermentation stage, of course) to show the ways that starch can be converted into sugar. PRICELESS!

It was hilarious to see that words like alpha/beta amylase, protein rests and saccrification were understood better by my 10 year old kid than they were by some adults. You should have seen him go, giving descriptions ala Palmer's book :rockin:

The couple of "Is that a still?" questions had me on the floor and slightly eroded my faith in the human race. :D

Unfortunately I think the fact that Homebrew was illegal for so long, and distilling is illegal still has alot to do with why people confuse the issue. The only thing your average person knows about distilling is that there are twisted up copper pipes involved.

It's a pretty honest mistake. Now, if they are calling cops on you through their ignorance, then it's just plain annoying.

Unfortunately I think the fact that Homebrew was illegal for so long, and distilling is illegal still has alot to do with why people confuse the issue. The only thing your average person knows about distilling is that there are twisted up copper pipes involved.

It's a pretty honest mistake. Now, if they are calling cops on you through their ignorance, then it's just plain annoying.

It is also grounds for moving one's spent grain pile as close to the neighbor's open bedroom window as possible :D

Glad to see this thread is back on the rails.
I don't really have many neighbors. The ones I do have are all fairly self sufficient. We raise a lot of our own food, and I wouldn't be the least bit suprised to find out they all brew beer. I guess it is really about where you live and if your neighbors have anything better to do. The way I look at things, if it doesn't negaatively impact me or others, the neighbors can do whatever they please. I will make sure to invite some of them over for a brew, cause it's the neighborly thing to do!

I got asked by a friend when the distillation takes place in home brewing. I laughed and said I'm not making moonshine. Although he was drinking a 7% beer I had made which isn't the norm in England

This religious talk is just going to mess things up. Weather you believe or not is your business. you'll find out for sure when it's all over. But,so far,I've gotten no complaints. I was bottling one day recently,& had the front door & widows open for some of that cool,fresh air.
A neighbor from up the street was walking by (a lot of us older folks get excersize this way). He looked over & sees me using the vinitor,bottles on the tree,& smiles! Maybe he remembers something his parents did??

Only problem I have so far with my nieghbors is keeping them away from my kegerator. :)

They did mention that they want to help/learn during my next brew session. Could be the start of a neighborhood brew club.

It is also grounds for moving one's spent grain pile as close to the neighbor's open bedroom window as possible :D

Now your just being mean & nasty:mug:

Look at your computer- would it ever occur to you that it was the result of a chaotic and random bunch of reactions and specializations over millions(billions) of years?

Why yes I do:mug:

I wonder what will happen when they aliens land..... :fro:

Brew - on:p

I just want to ***** about idiots and my beer
That being said I tried to explain yeast washing to a buddy now he tells people I grow my own strain of yeast

JoeyChopps said:
I just want to ***** about idiots and my beer
That being said I tried to explain yeast washing to a buddy now he tells people I grow my own strain of yeast

I guess there's some sort of truth in that... whitelabs(or whoever) went around and gathered most of those yeast strains up, cultured them, and put their label on it. So you keeping them alive is sort of the same thing.

I guess there's some sort of truth in that... whitelabs(or whoever) went around and gathered most of those yeast strains up, cultured them, and put their label on it. So you keeping them alive is sort of the same thing.

And it will mutate over time, if you keep the same colony going. Single-celled organisms can evolve significant changes in a shockingly short amount of time.

So if you maintain the same colony, then yeah, I'd say it's "your own yeast" after maybe a dozen generations tops.

What would happen if you mixed 2 yeasts together in a flask. Would they just battle it out and kill one, or would you essentially have both yeasts fermenting your beer.

7th grade biology class tells me that you wouldn't get a hybrid. Millions of years of evolution produced them. 2 hours in a flask isn't going to make a hybrid yeast. Or am I completely wrong, and it would?

I'd imagine you'd have dead yeast and weak yeast leftover. Anyone ever do this, or research it? (googling now...)

jsweet said:
And it will mutate over time, if you keep the same colony going. Single-celled organisms can evolve significant changes in a shockingly short amount of time.

So if you maintain the same colony, then yeah, I'd say it's "your own yeast" after maybe a dozen generations tops.
I see what ur saying but Im pretty sure he thinks I'm doing some super scientific ****

I get odd looks all the time when brewing out on my driveway. I keep waiting for the cops to show up. I really wonder if people are that stupid to think anyone would do anything illegal like making moonshine or meth right out in the driveway for all to see.

I think it's entirely possible. Question is,how many generations will it take? I wouldn't think that many. But then,you'd have to experiment to see what temps they like,& what flavors they give off at different temps. I think it's worth a shot.

I see what ur saying but Im pretty sure he thinks I'm doing some super scientific ****

I get that same kind of look sometimes when people find out I grow my own hops and harvest yeast from bottles. You gotta be clean, but I sweat some of them think that I'm doing gene splicing or something... :cross:

New neighbours on one side asked if we were having a party since I was making such a huge pot of soup!

Neighbor on the other side asked if that was a keg fridge I was building for my homebrew. After replying that it was, he promptly asked for a key to the garage!

lextasy23 said:
What would happen if you mixed 2 yeasts together in a flask. Would they just battle it out and kill one, or would you essentially have both yeasts fermenting your beer.

I'd imagine you'd have dead yeast and weak yeast leftover. Anyone ever do this, or research it? (googling now...)

I was just wondering this recently myself, as I have a belgian strong I am going to make, and I have a vial of whitelabs trappist and a smack pack of high gravity trappist. I was planning on using them both. I would think that the yeasts will both go about their separate jobs in their own separate ways and not interfere with eachother. Ill have to do more research

I think the best answer to the suspicious "What are you doing?" questions would be to give them a slightly angry, moderately crazy look at say "Oh... you'll find out... you'll find out soon enough!" and walk away giggling.

If your post was deleted, it was because it was OT or referenced something else OT.

SOME of the posts were flagrantly in violation of our rules not to discuss politics, religion, etc. You guys have 1 place on this board to do that or 90% of the rest of the internet.

Take it elsewhere or elsewhere is where you will be.

This is a beer forum.

If your post was deleted, it was because it was OT or referenced something else OT.

SOME of the posts were flagrantly in violation of our rules not to discuss politics, religion, etc. You guys have 1 place on this board to do that or 90% of the rest of the internet.

This is a beer forum.

But beer brings me closer to Godallahboddhistavashivvaflyingspaghettimonster, though. :(

I was just wondering this recently myself, as I have a belgian strong I am going to make, and I have a vial of whitelabs trappist and a smack pack of high gravity trappist. I was planning on using them both. I would think that the yeasts will both go about their separate jobs in their own separate ways and not interfere with eachother. Ill have to do more research

I did this exact thing with a Belgian Strong Dark and it fermented out fine. Won a gold medal when it was 4-5 months old.

This is a beer forum.

Page 3 of this thread is now pure hilarity. :mug:

This is a beer forum.

it wasnt that off topic; and it did primarily relate to different religious organizations beliefs about beer. there's nothing wrong with a little learning along the way as long as there is no disrespect....just saying. (respectfully)

Most of the deletions were from guilt by association. None of us really has the time to be editors of this "grand journal". If it ain't about beer, it probably got axed. The more BS we let go in the technical threads the more likely we get a political/religious debate.

The next debate is the inevitable, "If this was deleted, why wasn't that?"

Answer: Life is unfair. I wish I could live for a million years so I could give each and every post the attention it deserves. Actually, that's a lie. I'd just brew and drink a million times more beer.

So unless we're premium members, we can't get into the debate. No wonder you have a problem with derp leaking out into the technical sections.

And nobody answered my multiple yeast question. And yes I did search.
Well for me I'm only starting out in this stuff so I ain't going to spend extra on being a premium member.... Guess I won't be able to talk about God, Pres Obama or any other subjects like that even if it is relative to my wine making. Sometimes it is needed to bring out those things because they need to be talked about when it involves beliefs and freedoms.

Isn't that why we have this :off: ?

7th grade biology class tells me that you wouldn't get a hybrid. Millions of years of evolution produced them. 2 hours in a flask isn't going to make a hybrid yeast. Or am I completely wrong, and it would?

I should think it'd take more than a couple hours. Things like this usually take several generations to accomplish. Makes me wonder just how fast a given number of yeast cells reproduce an entire new generation?
Then it might be possible to predict when the mutation is likely to occur. It has to be possible,given the number of different yeasts we have today. The hard part,it seems,would be to create one that hasn't been already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back