Just got a 5 gallon Home Brew keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alebelly788

Reaction score
I was wondering if it would be a goo idea to just fill it with water and then practice force carbing said keg just so I can get an idea of how it's done. Any thoughts?

Waste of water and CO 2 in my opinion. It is not that difficult to force carbonate Beer. It is always better to carbonate naturally using priming sugar.

Naw. I don't think you need to "practice" carbing water either. There are plenty of threads on force carbonation methods. I like the set and forget method myself.

When it comes to kegging, I don't necessarily agree with natural carbonation being better. It's probably more of a personal choice. I prefer force carbing myself. It's much easier for me to achieve my desired volume of carbonation by force carbing.

I was wondering if it would be a goo idea to just fill it with water and then practice force carbing said keg just so I can get an idea of how it's done. Any thoughts?

That would be like practicing "drinking beer".

bja said:
That would be like practicing "drinking beer".

You don't think I should stop practicing, do you?

That would be like my wife and I not practicing to get pregnant.

I also suggest the set and forget. It is simple and hard to screw up. You put the keg on serving pressure and let her sit. It will be perfectly carbed in a week or two and the 2 weeks of conditioning time doesn't hurt

I'd just clean and sanitize the keg, transfer the beer, and force carb it up to serving pressure. As long as you can connect the gas and liquid lines properly and make sure you have the faucet closed when you connect the gas line, you will be good.

Back