Just Getting Started

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundownz

Reaction score
Hey guys -- just getting started in learning about Home Brewing. Currently reading "How to Brew" by John Palmer and hope to reference the forum as I go through the book -- then go from there making some of my own!

Suppose I should mention that I currently make subwoofers and other car audio equipment for a living. Me and the guys at the shop have been heavily discussing getting into brewing as our next business once we are done with the audio industry :) In the mean-time I certainly have ALOT of learning to do and several years of home-brewing to get under my belt.

Hey guys -- just getting started in learning about Home Brewing. Currently reading "How to Brew" by John Palmer and hope to reference the forum as I go through the book -- then go from there making some of my own!

Welcome to the hobby! You'll find a lot of good info here along with some pretty helpful experienced brewers. I've been at this for just over a year and whole lot of what I have learned has come from other brewers on this forum. And, like you, I got a copy of Palmer's book and still refer to it often.

How are you starting out? Have you made a batch of beer yet?
Extract brewing? BIAB? Mr. Beer?

Welcome to the hobby! You'll find a lot of good info here along with some pretty helpful experienced brewers. I've been at this for just over a year and whole lot of what I have learned has come from other brewers on this forum. And, like you, I got a copy of Palmer's book and still refer to it often.

How are you starting out? Have you made a batch of beer yet?
Extract brewing? BIAB? Mr. Beer?

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I am currently just reading to figure out what type of equipment to get to start out with. I do have a friend who has been home brewing for several years he will be a great resource as well :)

I have been looking at this setup so far :

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/

Luckily I also have a TON of space to work with when I get going... at home I have a 2000 ft^2 detached garage (the wife won't be tripping over my brewing stuff) with full heating and AC. Currently not using it for much of anything so excited to do something soon I hope :tank:

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I am currently just reading to figure out what type of equipment to get to start out with. I do have a friend who has been home brewing for several years he will be a great resource as well :)

I have been looking at this setup so far :

http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/

Your friend will, indeed, be a good source of information, especially since he has been at it for a while. The electric setup looks cool. Way over my head but I'll bet there's guys here who have used it or something like it.

I started out with extract brewing on the stovetop then moved to all-grain on a burner in the garage. The first beers were good but all had their flaws. I'm still making 5 gallon batches but lately I've gotten the flavors and carbonation dialed in much tighter and have begun to get a handle on the results of changes in hops and the various malts and yeasts.

As another recent newbie I'd suggest that you decide what kind of beers you like and find a relatively simple recipe or two for each of those beers. Then work on them for a while. Making repeats of the same recipes after you've tasted the results is how you'll learn to fine-tune your skills.

I have about four beers that I make in rotation, occasionally inserting something exotic. With time and improved technique these are beers that I simply can't keep in the 'fridge because people grab them and drink them up so fast. To me that is very gratifying.

Back