Just for fun guessing game.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers

Reaction score
So I'm stuck in the city in a hotel again. The upside is that there is a liquor store that has some very nice beer on hand. Well, nice for a Canadian store that is.

Anyway, I stopped by the dollar store in the mall and bought a beer glass because there is no way I'm drinking fine beer out of a hotel glass or the bottle.

I bought four beers. They are:

Marston's Old Empire IPA
Marston's Pedigree Ale
Rogue Dead Guy Ale
Wychwood Hobgoblin.

Just for fun, put them in order of most to least expensive and guess how much those four beer cost in Canadian dollars. Keep in mind, my US friends, that liquor is heavily taxed up here and every one of those beers are imported.

Let's see how you do.

I'll take a stab at it!

In order, least expensive to most:

Hobgoblin
Dead Guy
Pedigree
Old Empire

I figured that the Hobgoblin is cheaper than the Dead Guy (it is for me, anyway!) and that the other British beers came the farthest, so costed the mostest.

As for $$$, my guess is $42.

$ per ounce?

Hobgoblin is only available here in the @#$%'in 11.2 oz... at $2.45. So, what are the sizes of the bottles?

They're all 500ml which is a little over a pint.

Here's a small hint. One of those brews was twice the price of the next most expensive.

If I get five more guesses by 9 o'clock, I'll give another hint. If I don't, I'll just give the answer.

Okay, I guess that wasn't as fun as I thought it would be. Truth be told, I was interested in how things might be comparably priced in other locations against what I paid. Anyway, here are the results:

The cheapest brew was indeed the Hobgoblin as Yooper suggested. That's a great beer so one usually finds its way into my purchases. Next came the Marston's Pedigree followed by the Marston IPA. By far the most expensive beer was the Rogue Dead Guy. I paid over $10 for that one. The other three were around the $4 mark for a grand total of $24.41 for the four beers after taxes.

The Hobgoblin was in the cooler in the store so it was the first to go. I'm savoring the Pedigree right now and I just may save the other two for tomorrow. I sure as hell can't afford to buy like that every day. :(

Dead Guy at $10!!!!!!!!!

Holy rape and pillage, Batman!

$4.49 here for a 22oz Dead Guy(>500ml). Hobgoblin is the same per ounce as DG here.

Dead Guy at $10!!!!!!!!!

Holy rape and pillage, Batman!

$4.49 here for a 22oz Dead Guy(>500ml). Hobgoblin is the same per ounce as DG here.

Yeah I picked it up and put it down a couple of times but in the end I had to try it. If I like it I'll brew up 10 gallons for $40.

shoulda just bought a 6er of sleeman for about $12 CAD

snicker:

B

You laugh, but I may have to drink some of that in a couple of weeks. I'm getting a going away party from my coworkers and that's about as close to premium as it gets in our small town. There's good beer on tap, but it's an hour's drive away.

Heck, I thought I was getting raped when I bought 2 4packs for $24 at the brewery! For limited edition beers! I think I got me a deal! Plus, I'm sorry to say I think I got better beer (Founders Harvest Ale, and Backwoods Bastard).

FYI - I can't wait to go back to Founders for a sammich and some beer!

Drinking it now. It's a very nice beer. It's not a $10 beer, but it is very good. If I should find myself vacationing in your beautiful country I would definitely spring for this one again, but I won't be buying it up here at that price.

I stopped by that most excellent liquor store again to see what else I can enjoy tonight and on a whim I decide to have a couple of black and tans. I was back at the dollar store to buy an authentic black and tan spoon for a buck. They had straightened the thing out and called it a gravy spoon but I could tell what it was. I guess there's not as big a market for traditional UK beverages as there is for gravy around here. The barbarians around here put food coloring in American light lagers for St. Patty's day. They probably kick puppies too.

But it might improve it.

I suppose that might be true, but you could also improve a lawyer by giving him/her a nicer suit. In the end you just have a nicer looking lawyer.

By reading the previous sentence, you agree to absolve and save harmless any parties connected with the production or distribution of disparaging lawyer comments.

Latest posts

Back