Just finnished my WLP775 hard cider. Impresions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kukubau

Reaction score
My cider has dropped to 1.002 two days ago and I've racked it to another carboy, forgetting to take some of the lees off the bottom. Well, man learns everytime.

I've used the so well reviewed WLP775 cider yeast from White Labs and it is still sweet. I thought that by this low SG will be dryer, but no. WLP775 yeast had preserved that apple aroma.No astringency, as no cider apples are available this neck of the woods, but surprisingly no alcohol kick, not at all, somehow curious, given the 8% ABV. Adding black tea or tannin is a no no, as last time.

I'm planning on adding bentonite tomorrow morning, let it clear, bottling it, bottle carbing it for 2-3 weeks and see how it finishes.
It sure has a lot of residual sweetness, I'll think some more if I should add extra sugar to bottle carb or just bottle it just as is and that residual sugars will build some CO2. I'm not very fond of sugar in anything.
Tasting it right now cold as ice tastes great, but would've liked it a bit dryer. No racking to secondary, so I guess I can call it my WLP775 turbo cider. It won't see Easter, that's for sure. :)

SG 1.063
F.G. 1.002
ABV: ~8%

My other 6 gallon batch is bubbling slower than the first one and has dropped to 1.006 after exactly the same many days it took my first batch to drop to 1.002. Same temp. but I've added a 1/4 of the yeast nutrient quantity less.

Happy fermenting and don't stop experimenting!

The bottled cider photo is just a sample before using any bentonite.

edited_1485013715460.jpg

If you use bentonite to clear cider doesn't it also remove tannins?

Latest posts

Back