Just finished 50 time bombs, PLEASE HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siiteri

WaystoneBier
Reaction score
trying to delete this thread as i found the cider forum

thread was:

3lb of priming sugar accidentally added to 5 gallon batch of hard cider

You used 3lbs of sugar to prime 5 gallons of beer? Toss it. for real. it will taste like crap and that's if the bottles don't explode which they most likely will.

Pour back into fermenter, trying not to splash too much. If it doesn't restart fermentation in a couple of days add yeast, yeast nutrient and energizer. Make sure you have an air lock on so you don't get air in that will oxidize your cider.

Pour back into fermenter, trying not to splash too much. If it doesn't restart fermentation in a couple of days add yeast, yeast nutrient and energizer. Make sure you have an air lock on so you don't get air in that will oxidize your cider.

This is probably the best thing you can do short of dumping them. They are absolutely going to explode otherwise.

trying to delete this thread as i found the cider forum

thread was:

3lb of priming sugar accidentally added to 5 gallon batch of hard cider

Since you changed this and I know it's cider I'd put it back in the fermenter and let it finish, beer not so much, Definitely do not leave it in the bottles.:mug:

Since you changed this and I know it's cider I'd put it back in the fermenter and let it finish, beer not so much, Definitely do not leave it in the bottles.:mug:

I'm really timid to put it back into the fermenter and go through with rebottling all of them for the sake of time and the chance of oxidation.. But I guess I'll do it if its my only option

My local Home Brew Store reccomended that I wait a couple days trying them every 6 hours after the second day. Once one is appropriately carbonated I should move them all into the fridge and throw a party. The fridge might keep them good for a short time

Any flaws in doing this?

My local Home Brew Store reccomended that I wait a couple days trying them every 6 hours after the second day. Once one is appropriately carbonated I should move them all into the fridge and throw a party. The fridge might keep them good for a short time

Any flaws in doing this?

The big flaw is that they may taste terrible. But they may not. I add way too much sugar to cider every year; it just happens to be maple syrup that I think tastes awesome.

Once they are carbonated to your liking, you can pasteurize them in the bottle. Cider generally improves with some age, and you have to kill that yeast to make aging safe.

If I were you, that is how I would handle this.

I'm really timid to put it back into the fermenter and go through with rebottling all of them for the sake of time and the chance of oxidation.. But I guess I'll do it if its my only option

Any flaws in doing this?

Do you like drinks that are cloyingly sweet? I'd rather have a little oxidation than that.
If you pasteurize and mess it up you will have bombs, you have glass shelves in the fridge? I wish I knew where the shot of someones fridge with all the shelves shattered was.:D

Back