Just entered my second competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oceanic_brew

Reaction score
Wanted to post here as a thank you to the HBT crew. Just received the results from the Big Spruce Homebrew competition in Nova Scotia, Canada. I didn't place but my British Dark Mild scored a 37.5 and my Raspberry Sour Doppelbock scored a 36.

Considering my last competition I ended up with a low 20's for an experimental IPA it's nice to see that my perception of improvement is inline with the tastes of others.

Thanks for all the help!

Wanted to post here as a thank you to the HBT crew. Just received the results from the Big Spruce Homebrew competition in Nova Scotia, Canada. I didn't place but my British Dark Mild scored a 37.5 and my Raspberry Sour Doppelbock scored a 36.

Considering my last competition I ended up with a low 20's for an experimental IPA it's nice to see that my perception of improvement is inline with the tastes of others.

Thanks for all the help!

Must have tougher judges up North and or better brewers than here in Hawai`i. I've never had a 36 but have 5 second place ribbons. LOL :mug:

Must have tougher judges up North and or better brewers than here in Hawai`i. I've never had a 36 but have 5 second place ribbons. LOL :mug:

This was the 4th competition from this brewery and the owner got up before he read the winners and noted that the increase in talent of the local homebrewers from even this years from lasts was remarkable.

The craft beer industry is booming here in Halifax which I'm sure plays a part in the volume and quality of people entering Homebrew comps. I've noticed a huge increase in traffic at the LHBS also.

It's crazy, I was so sure I was gonna place since I've made plenty of decent beers but these two were perfect to me, they got a lot of "I can't believe you made this" comments from brewer friends and the like. I would love to try some of the winners.

Definitely have the beer competition bug!

Thanks.

The feedback was great and inline with some of my own thoughts. They mentioned a higher mash on my British dark mild and lower the amount of raspberries on the doppelbock as to get closer to the actual flavors.

Funny thing is I have brewed both beers that way and prefer them with the recent changes I've made, however it did put those beers out of style and if I enter again I would make those changes.

Latest posts

Back