Just did my first sour red. So far so goooooood

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dozer5454

Reaction score
So I tried Monks Cafe for the first time a couple months ago. When I first drank this beer I started realizing the complexity of it verses the beers I have drank/made. The sour nature was definitely there but there was so much more. So, in my continued quest to make different beers to educate others why it is good to stay away from the big 3, I decided to try my hand at making a sour. I went to MoreBeer in Concord, CA and, while picking up stuff for the club brew day as well as checking out new recipes, I asked if they had a recipe for a sour red. Boy did they. I got an all grain Flanders Sour Red recipe. Brew day went as normal and I reached the FG I wanted with no issues. Now came the fun part. I had the vile of White Labs Sour Mix and dumped it in the secondary. I also had about 4 bottles of the Flemish Red dreggs I had collected and dumped that in to. Didn't see any action in the airlock all week. figuring it was a total bust I decided to open the lid. The beauty of this spiderweb unfolded across the top of my beer right before my very eyes. SWAMBO, who thinks all beer "tastes like beer" even had to note that the smell was pretty amazing. If this beer even turns out half as good as it smells I am hooked and will be brewing this again to educate others for many years to come.

Awesome! I got the Consecration kit from the same place and look forward to that one. From what I have read, bugs don't put off too much CO2, so airlock activity is going to be pretty minimal.

Latest posts

Back