Just Cloned a Favorite: "Bambino"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StLouBrew

Reaction score
A couple of months ago, I stopped in a brewpub in Boston and fell in love with a pale ale called "Bambino." Loved it because of the strong hoppy aroma & flavor without too much bitterness. I might describe it as a slighltly lighter, crisper version of a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I was so enamored with this beer that I found and pestered the brewmaster (Josh Sattin) for his recipe. He has since left that brewpub and started up his own LHBS in Boston: www.bostonhomebrewsupply.com

I wasn't set up to do all grain, so I had to adapt the initial information he provided to do a partial mash. Here's what I did:

Ingredients:
  • 4.5lb Extra Light DME
  • 3lb Vienna Malt
  • 3 oz Simcoe
  • 3 oz Cenennial
  • Wyeast 1056

Procedure:
  • Partial mash the Vienna:
    [*]Heat 4.5 quarts of water to 162
    [*]Add grain bag with the 3 lbs of Vienna malt – slowly dip into pot. Dunk and poke with spoon
    [*]Stabilize temp at 150 for 30-45 minutes
    [*]During mash, heat 4.5 quarts of water to 170
    [*]When mash is complete, remove and drain grain bag, transfer wort to boil kettle
    [*]Place grain bag in strain or colander and sparge ~1 quart at a time.​
  • Add water to boil kettle.. up to at least 3 gallons. Bring to boil and remove from heat
  • Stir in 4.5 lbs of Extra light DME and return to boil
  • Hop additions:
    [*]15 min remaining: 1oz Centennial & 1oz Simcoe
    [*]Flameout: 1oz Centennial & 1 oz Simcoe​
After fermentation, I dry hopped with 1oz Simcoe and 1oz Centennial

OG: 1.053
FG: 1.009

I kegged this last night. The sample I tasted was SPOT ON. Hoping that by the time it's cold and carbed it comes out exactly the way I tasted at the brew pub.

If you're interested in a AG recipe Josh just sent it to me. I'll be glad to post it as well.

Back