Just built a bar, but foamy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alangolding25

Reaction score
Hey all just built a bar
I just talked up the keg tonight. I had it around 12-14 psi. It's a 20litre coors light keg. Was very foamy.

I disconnected, drained the gas out. Turned the psi down to 2-3. Still the same.
The keg had not been up to temperature so I have it in the fridge and I'm hoping overnight it will get up to temp and be ok in the morning.

Meanwhile if anyone knows why it's so foamy regards less of high/low psi and any solutions would greatly be appreciated. I'm hosting a party on Saturday and I'm providing free beer........hopefully!!!!
Thanks
Alan

image-1189013183.jpg

Warm beer = foam. I'm sure you'll be good to go tomorrow once the beer is chilled down.

Nice set up btw!

Cheers.

Really yeah so that is it? Wow didn't know that and I was a bar man for years back in the day.
Yeah fingers crossed she'll be right in the morning. Definitely gonna have a breakfast beer to test.
Thanks for the comment

Even with a cold keg you'll notice more foam on the 1st pour if your tap is warm. The 2nd pour will be perfect if your system is properly balanced.

Ok thanks. Yeah I've read how much thought goes into a balanced system.
In the pubs it all seems so simple.
Fingers crossed.

Great! Went down this morning let it flow for a couple of seconds and poured one. Not foamy, nice head, and nicely carbonated.
Sweet. Thanks again for the replies

Haha I know, not the most manliest of beers. But I genuinely like it. I'm not a huge hippy beer person. More of a stout/dark ale guy

Wow. Amazing little bar. I'd like to see all sides.

The foam issue seems to be explained. I hope.

Thanks a lot built myself. Took a while though. Yeah I'll send more pics tomorrow as it's pissin rain ATM.

Yeah the foamy issue has been resolved. However now it's seem to be a little flat, well it's going flat quicker than usual. I think it's because I have the c02 in the fridge with the keg. Will have to make to with that until next week though as I have to bore a bigger hole in the fridge for both pipes to fit

Are those real or fake stone sides? I want to do wall of my wine cellar for swmbo in something like that.

Cool bar. What temperature is your beer stored at? Maybe your pressure setting is too low for that temp?

It isn't anything to do with the bottle stored in the fridge. Many of us do that. Pressure is pressure. However, since it's cooled down now, like your beer, recheck your pressure gauge. It will have changed going from warm to cold. With it going flat, it's due to only pushing 2-3 psi if that's still where you're set.

Supply the following and we'll fix you up:
Temperature inside cooler
Length of tubing from keg post to tap nipple

If you're serving at 38°, which is typical for an American Light Lager, you should start at 12psi for appropriate carb levels. If this leads you to too much foam, you'll want to increase your line length. A lot of people will just do 10' to play it safe.

Back