Just bottled ESB. Seems OK, but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
...it doesn't taste like an ESB. While it was fermenting i smelled beaucoup esters from the blowoff, but now smell and taste essentially none from the beer itself. The gravity sample I took didn't taste bad...pretty good really... but more hoppy and less estery than I thought it would. Is this typical, and will it change as it conditions?

By the way, it's an all grain batch (my second).

Can't say for sure about the esters. But I have seen significant changes in taste between bottling day and when fully conditioned. I had one that I tasted and said " Oh no! this one is not going to be too good". When conditioned it was very good.

Give it time, let it carb and try again in several weeks
I had the same issue only kegged. it was a lousy beer when just ready to drink so i bottled all of it from the keg, 6 months latter. BOOM... fantastic.

I would recommend you finding a thread on here that's dedicated to capturing the esters and other flavors of English ales. Hopefully someone else can chime in on the name of it because I can't recall.

Just found it

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=221817

It's 62 pages long I think, I've gotten through enough to be able to apply some of it to an English dark mild using London ESB yeast. I followed a fermentation regimen called Fullers Temp Profile or something of that nature.

I believe I started the temp at 62 until fermentation was 2/3rds complete raised it to 68 for a d-rest and before fermentation was complete cooled temp back down. I think that's it. It's all in that thread anyway.

The idea is that the London ESB yeast will clean itself up if left at higher temps after the growth phase of the yeast, so by pitching cool and holding throughout the growth phase you are producing a cleaner ester profile, then ramping up to 68 will clean up some byproducts and then cooling the fermentation you will capture some of those fruity esters before the yeasts clean up.

Some Brewers have gone as far as getting the yeast off the yeast cake and then transferring to a keg to further prohibit the beer cleaning up. In the keg gelatin is employed to clear the beer while force carbing.

I brewed 4 English dark milds for a competition. First one was way too clean and was the only one that I employed a normal 2 week primary and 66/68 degree fermentation temp and just tasted like a light Porter. I then searched this forum for an answer and my next three batches were all fermented with the fullers schedule.

All three went from grain to glass in 6 days!!

I scored 37.5 at the competition, I think that's pretty good for a beer that takes 6 days to brew, didn't place but each judge noted the success of the ester profile. I made some mistakes with roasted malts that put it more into the area of Porter, maybe.

Good luck!

I have to add that I missed in your post that you don't have the beer carbonated yet. All three of my beers done with fullers Profile tasted bland until carbonated, carbonating helps push those flavors and esters out.

Get it bottled/kegged and then see, if it cleans up too much with time then you know where to look for a fix.

It was left in primary for three weeks; all but the last few days were at 66-68, then up to 70-ish. Based on the replies here (thanks!) and in other threads, I think next time I'll 1) leave it in primary for as little time as possible — just until FG is reached, and 2) rethink the temperature profile.

IMO,
Don't try for esters, very few English ales rely on them and very few have them. Keep fermentation temp on low end for two weeks then crank her up, ALWAYS do a d-rest regardless of yeast strain.
I understand ESB is a little different than other U.K. Styles but by using the right combination of malts you can replicate those esters.

Back