Just bottled an Irish Red....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChipChipperson

Reaction score
Just finished bottling my 1st beer, last Sunday, and I was curious about how long it takes for them to reach max carbonation? I just don't want to open one to early and it not have enough. They are in wine bottles, between 20-22oz in each if that matters, I'm not sure. Thanks!:mug:

I wait 3 weeks and then put one or two in the fridge for at least a couple of days. This first couple of beer are samplers. If these taste good then it is open season on the batch otherwise I wait another week and try a couple more.

This is much easier to do once you have a pipeline established. Next Wednesday my Irish Red will be three weeks in the bottle. I will put a couple in the fridge to try on Friday or Saturday. If they aren't ready it's no big deal because I have three more mature beers and an apple cider that I can enjoy while I wait on the Irish Red.

They are in wine bottles? Or in beer bottles?

If they are in wine bottles, get them out NOW. Right now, immediately.

wine bottles will not hold carbonation pressure and will blow up.

If that was a typo, and they are in beer bottles, then no worries and disregard my alarmist warning. They'll be ready in about 3 weeks.

What do you mean by wine bottles? General rule of thumb is to use bottles that have held pressurized liquids before. So if these bottles were from still wine (not champagne or something else sparkling), watch for bottle bombs.

I wait 3 weeks and then put one or two in the fridge for at least a couple of days. This first couple of beer are samplers. If these taste good then it is open season on the batch otherwise I wait another week and try a couple more.

This is much easier to do once you have a pipeline established. Next Wednesday my Irish Red will be three weeks in the bottle. I will put a couple in the fridge to try on Friday or Saturday. If they aren't ready it's no big deal because I have three more mature beers and an apple cider that I can enjoy while I wait on the Irish Red.

Thanks! I'll wait to open one up then.

What do you mean by wine bottles? General rule of thumb is to use bottles that have held pressurized liquids before. So if these bottles were from still wine (not champagne or something else sparkling), watch for bottle bombs.

I believe they did as these are my grandfather's, I'm brewing with him and he's used them for past brews. I wasn't aware of the difference in bottles so I didn't think to ask anything of them.

Back