Jumping back into brewing.....a few questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happydad1689

Reaction score
I took a few years off brewing (move for a job, busy etc) I want to get back into it and I think BIAB (2-3 gal batches) would be the best for my limited space.

I am also going to try 30 minute boils (!) As well as I plan to try a "no chill, pitch the next day" method

A question I have is: How should I plan hops? Is there a danger to the hops sitting during the "no chill" period? Should I use a hop bag to ensure they are not in there overnight?

Thanks for any help you can give.

I took a few years off brewing (move for a job, busy etc) I want to get back into it and I think BIAB (2-3 gal batches) would be the best for my limited space.

I am also going to try 30 minute boils (!) As well as I plan to try a "no chill, pitch the next day" method

A question I have is: How should I plan hops? Is there a danger to the hops sitting during the "no chill" period? Should I use a hop bag to ensure they are not in there overnight?

My suggestion for a no-chill 3 gal batch:
Use a partial boil to hit 2 gal and then add 1 gal cold water. That should get you under 170°F so you don't need to worry about late hop additions getting screwed up.
Don't use a hop bag.

Cheers

The only danger with the hops is that any late addition hops (after the 60 minute bittering hop addition) will also become bittering hops as they will continue to add bitterness until the wort temp gets below about 170F. Otherwise the hops can stay in the beer for weeks.

My suggestion for a no-chill 3 gal batch:
Use a partial boil to hit 2 gal and then add 1 gal cold water. That should get you under 170°F so you don't need to worry about late hop additions getting screwed up.
Don't use a hop bag.

Cheers
Agreed. The formation of sulfur compounds occur above 175F we've been tought. Plus oxidation inevitably occures but higher the temp the faster. If you dont have another vessel to place your kettel in to cool just placing in the bath tub/kitchen sink with cold water will significantly increase the cooling effect. Make sure to spray Starsans all over the kettle top just to be sure of sanitation. Welcome back to the Funny Farm! [emoji16]

I went with a similar approach when I started back up: keep it simple. I brew 3.5ish gallon batches to fill my 24 16 oz. flip top bottles. The short boils are a good way to go, but I might steer clear from shortening the mash too much.

I think my first brew back with BIAB I did a 30 min mash, 30 minute boil and I was DONE in about 3 hours! Beer was great (a SMaSH with Maris Otter and Amarillo). I haven’t experimented with no chill, but it’s probably in the cards down the road!

Back