Juicing cherries for beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hastein

Reaction score
I've been inspired by beers like Three Philosophers and Petrus Aged Red to try a cherry beer. In order to avoid all the sediment from a cherry puree, could I just run all the cherries through a juicer and add only the juice to the wort? I wonder if this would mean increasing the lb of cherries per gallon of wort or will it remain the same?

Also, should I add the juice to the wort at the end of the boil to sanitize it since it will be going through the juicer?

Ah, so I add that to the secondary. I wonder if I can find something like that concentrate at Costco?

Ah, so I add that to the secondary. I wonder if I can find something like that concentrate at Costco?

Possibly - or some sort of health store/organic co-op. It is 100% cherry juice - nothing else in it, no preservatives, no additives, just 100% juice. Montmorency Cherries.

Cherrylands Best is not far from me and I use it for all my cherry needs. The products are FANTASTIC. Whenever I here concentrate or extract I cringe because I have NEVER had a beer that had that stuff in it that aged well or tasted great.

Also food for thought if you make your own do NOT grind up the pits they have arsenic in them...

Whenever I here concentrate or extract I cringe because I have NEVER had a beer that had that stuff in it that aged well or tasted great.

Hmmmm.... what have you noticed in particular going this route. I am not a "fruit beer" brewer by any means, and was looking to essentially impart a tart cherry flavor in a beer I was also souring with Roselaere.... It tasted pretty good, a month or so ago (9 months old). GOing to bottle in the upcoming month or two.

What route would you recommend in place of the Cherry Juice Concentrate?

Thanks

i am a big fan of the juicer, i use mine as a cider press with great results. cherries juice fine but for some reason the juicing seems to set the pectins, so the juice turns to a wobbly jam consistency. maybe this isn't a problem, but there's a chance that you will get a pectin haze in a light beer? boiling it is more likely to set pectins, it would seem to me. if it were me i would freeze and add the whole cherries if possible, or juice them and add the raw juice, either way after fermentation to avoid losing the fruity volatile compounds. if you really wanted to cook the juice maybe consider low temperature pasteurizing?

Should I lower the temp after adding the cherries or cherry juice to keep the yeast from starting back up or just add it and forget it?

Back