Join / connect two beer lines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After doing much reading about foamy beer and balancing your system, I realized that I don't have nearly enough beer line. I'm wondering what would be an easy way to properly connect two beer lines. I couldn't find a coupler at a local beer/wine shop. It's not easy to get at the existing line, joining the two would be my best bet. Any suggestions?
Thank you!

People will tell you to never join two lines because it will create nucleation sites and make the problem worse.
I'm currently serving one at 14 psi with two lengths of 6' line, joined with a male/male MFL union, and it works just fine.
I read someone else used a cheap plastic/nylon barb with good results.
Best case it works, worst case it doesn't.

Lowe's in the plumbing section should have what you need.. connectors are by the tubing. They are usually plastic or brass.

I was thinking of doing the same thing with my lines- they came pre-assembled in the tower, and replacing them completely seemed like a real hassle.

Good to know that others have made it work.

Even on a budget, line is super cheap. Rather than paying for a coupler to combine lines, just get a longer line. The hassle of refitting your connections isn't going to take you all day.

Even on a budget, line is super cheap. Rather than paying for a coupler to combine lines, just get a longer line. The hassle of refitting your connections isn't going to take you all day.

At least for me, I'm all thumbs. I know that I can clamp on new connectors or joins, but I can't even quite figure out how to get into the tower- and worse, I can't even seem to find WHERE to learn such a thing.

Unfortunately the way my tower is set up, its not easy to take everything apart (silicone, copper pipe, etc from inside the fridge, through the top of the bar and into the tower). Also, this tower came with the hose already attached inside. Not sure how easy that would be to remove from within as well.

There is no Lowe's here, but I can try a couple hardware stores. I did buy a new 12' hose, but joining them seems to be the most practical.

Kegworks has a Beer Line Hose Joining Kit, was hoping to find something local that could work just the same.

I gotcha. I was assuming (never assume!) this was in a keezer, not a premade kegerator. I've never played with one to know what dismantling it is like.

Look for screws and unscrew them :) See where that takes you.

ImBeerBattered said:
Where can you find the male/male MFL union? That's what I figured would work best.

I got mine online at northern or midwest. Locally, if you have a Grainger, they might. I can all but guarantee the home stores won't.
If you need something now, i'd go with the plastic barb. not sure I would use brass though. Down side to that is cutting the end off and redoing later if necessary.

Does the top cap of your tower come off? I would take off the cap and faucet, undo the shank, and pull the line up... If you wanted to replace the entire line.

Raenon said:
but I can't even quite figure out how to get into the tower- and worse, I can't even seem to find WHERE to learn such a thing.

Most towers I have seen are capped you should be able to twist or pop it off with your hands. Look to see if there is a groove where it comes together. Mine just took a little prying with my finger/nail tips and it popped right off

I just swapped out my lines for longer ones on my tower last week. My three tap tower came preassembled with 5 foot lines. Needless to say I was having foaming issues. Like others have said, the top of your tower should pop off and you can gain access to the lines there. I have three taps in the tower so mine is incredibly crowded. That said, it took me maybe two hours to swap out everything with a couple of scraped knuckles to show for it. Small price to pay for getting a full glass of beer...not foam. On a side note, my beer tastes amazingly better...the hop character is much more pronounced and it is properly carbonated.

I'll go in thru the top cap. It didn't seem to come off with a twist and a pull, but I'll use a little more force. If I can get the line disconnected from under the cap, it should be easy to feed it thru the copper... I hope!
Thanks everyone for the help.

Tried a new 12' beverage line... think the foam problem is worse. Issue now has got to be that this line I bought locally is 1/4" diameter supposedly, whereas the one that came attached to the beer tower was smaller. Cuts and scrapes and I'm back at square one. lol
(I'm running at a reasonably cold temp and at 12 psi)

ImBeerBattered said:
Tried a new 12' beverage line... think the foam problem is worse. Issue now has got to be that this line I bought locally is 1/4" diameter supposedly, whereas the one that came attached to the beer tower was smaller. Cuts and scrapes and I'm back at square one. lol
(I'm running at a reasonably cold temp and at 12 psi)

Yes. 1/4" is too large unless you have quite a long length. You need 3/16". keep the 1/4 for gas line if you need it in the future.

Back