Johnson A419 temp wont rise?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SevenFields

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Johnson A419 digital temp controller. I used for the first time last month to ferment a pumpkin beer around 58 degrees and it worked great. I then brewed a 2nd beer and increased the temp to 66.
The problem is that the Controller never increased the temp in my fermentation fridge. I have the controller set on cooling and the probe is taped to the carboy,
What am a I doing wrong? Here are my setting:

SP: 66
SF: 1
OFS: 0
ASD: 10
DIF: 1

My fridge is in the shed, Over the winter I use a heat wrap to increase the temp in the fridge, the fridge it's self barely ever turns on. Today it got warmer so it did, that's why I went with a two stage, there can be big temp shifts in PA.

1422427_423149527815833_1746235682_n.jpg

I don't know that controller but unless you have something in the fridge to generate heat it is not gonna do anything.

It seems obvious that the refrigerator is not going to heat itself up. When a fermenting fridge is placed in a room that suffers seasonal fluctuation from below ferment temps and above ferment temps, many people will use a two-stage controller to power the fridge compressor and also a small wattage heat source placed in the chamber or using a heat wrap. One of my personal favorites is to put your fermenter in a slightly larger bin of water and then drop a 50 watt aquarium heater into the water. I've fermented lagers in my 45F garage this way.

If you know that your ambient temps are going to be lower than set point for the whole fermentation period, you can switch the A419 to heating and use the heat source.

If you think the ambient will waver below and above set point, you can place a very low wattage heat source (25 watt light bulb shielded by a coffee can for example) inside the fridge that always stays on. It will creep the temp up over setpoint and the fridge will react to keep it there. It's slightly more wasteful this way, but it will work as an alternative to a dual stage controller.

So I guess the controller is mainly used for the summer time

No, you can use it all year round.

The controller itself can't generate heat, though, anymore than it can generate heating. You have a fridge to cool, but you don't have a heater set up yet. It can't heat itself, and the fridge can't heat- so you need a source.

If you add a heat source, then it can control that.

I used one for years to control my hot liquor tank, and it worked within 1 degree.

Thanks for the more detailed explanation. Looks like I need to get a heat belt or are there any other options?
What about just using a normal heating pad, could I plug that into my Johnson Controller?

Many folks use an incandescent light bulb in a cheap base with or without a metal can over it as a heat source. It doesn't take much, a fridge has plenty of insulation after all. I have a 75W bulb in one of my 17cf fridges - you can just see it at the bottom. It's in a rarely heated level of the house and it holds the temperature just fine...

Cheers!

ab_nov_15_2013_11_sm.jpg

In order a A419 to control a heating cycle you have to change a jumper wire inside it your instructions that came with it should show you how. Yes you can use a regular heating pad.

Latest posts

Back