Jockey Box: Beergas, line balance, pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBaron1985

The Beer Baron
Reaction score
Got 50ft SS coils at 5/16" ID. Figured about 12ft external lines heading up from keg to the box, calculated about 14PSI serving.

Using that same logic if I was to serve a stout on beer gas nitro at 30 PSI that puts the length of line in the neighborhood of 140 ft including the coil. Is that right?

To serve a nitro beer with a stout faucet I need that much line?
received_333671690721590.jpeg
received_295506644388392.jpeg

You don't actually want much line in front of a proper stout faucet as you need the pressure to drive beer through the restrictor plate. I run my beer gas pressure at 35 psi with just a 10' 3/16" line...

Cheers!

You don't actually want much line in front of a proper stout faucet as you need the pressure to drive beer through the restrictor plate. I run my beer gas pressure at 35 psi with just a 10' 3/16" line...

Cheers!
Awesome, thats exactly what I have in my keezer actually! So maybe a separate single tap jockey box with a cold plate to accomplish a nitro stout setup for homw brew festivals and such?

Yeah, I don't think it would be practical to set up one jbox to handle beer gas driven stout and conventional co2 poured pale...

Cheers!

Yeah, I don't think it would be practical to set up one jbox to handle beer gas driven stout and conventional co2 poured pale...

Cheers!

True, good point. Then I suppose a quick disconnect straight to the stout faucet with a chilled keg is best then.

Thank you for all the advice. Now that I have the actual Jockey box, time to start outfitting it with some practical mods for a festival day. I'll make a new thread as I build it. :)

Cheers!
Another question, should I get 5/16" ID line from the keg to the jockey box instead of 3/16" line? I figure I'd go 10 feet to give myself some slack. Let me know

I only have experience with the 10' 3/16" id line I mentioned previously (which works nicely with 35psi and my Micromatic faucet) so you'd be on your own on that :)

Cheers!

Thank you Day Trippr!

BUMP, can anyone weigh in on the multiple diameter beer line setup? Would I just be better off keeping the entire run of line from keg to coil to faucet at 5/16"? Seems like having a choke point at the beginning of the travel from the keg to the coil will cause a drop in pressure in the coil and cause a foamy pour?

Latest posts

Back