Job Posting: Beverage QC Technician, San Diego, CA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agrazela

Reaction score
Since there's no specific "Job Listings" subforum, I'm posting here. I figure this forum is a good place to look for beverage scientists!

There is a job opening at the company I work for, we are looking for a beverage QC tech. I'd say this is pretty much an entry-level position; please live in San Diego already, I'm 99.999% sure we're not paying any relocation for this job.

If interested, PM me and I can pass along your info.

Here's the listing, cut-and-pasted directly from our Intranet:

========================

Food CSA QC Chemist
Position Description
SECTOR: CP Kelco
TITLE: QC Chemist
REPORTS TO: Food Customer Support and Applications Manager
Role:
This is a full time, lab position that supports CP Kelco’s global beverage-grade gellan gum business by testing both the viscosity and elastic modulus of finished beverages that are processed in-house. Test results are used to calculate blend ratios which are used by Production to blend finished products. Test results are also used by Quality Control to confirm finished products meet all specifications and are suitable for release to customers. Once fully trained, the employee will likely often need to work Tuesday-Saturday rather than Monday-Friday, depending on work needs.
Responsibilities:
 Measure the elastic modulus and viscosity of up to 45 beverages per day. The elastic modulus test is a challenging test to run, and requires operator consistency, paying close attention to detail, and a high degree of precision.
 Every day, enter the day’s raw data into spreadsheets to calculate key parameters. Be able to evaluate whether collected and calculated data is reasonable, and determine if tests need to be repeated.
 Enter calculated data into SAP each day for use by Production and Quality Control.
 Attend weekly cross-functional meetings at the SD Plant with Production and Quality to understand what samples will be coming, what products have the highest priority, and be aware of issues facing the plant/how we can help. As appropriate, share observations from testing that plant personnel should be aware of.
 Communicate well with plant personnel to ensure needs are known and expectations are met.
 Communicate well with beverage process technologists and CSA colleagues to help ensure a smooth workflow for everyone.
 Write a monthly summary of QC test results for the CSA newsletter.
 When QC samples do not require a full day of analysis, employee may be called upon to help other scientists with their elastic modulus and viscosity measurements, or with their projects.
 Depending on the successful candidates mechanical inclinations, may be trained to operate the MicroThermics UHT/HTST processor to serve as a back-up to our beverage process technologists.
 Work in a safe manner in accordance to the Huber Principles.
Skills and Knowledge:
 Observant, detail-oriented individual who enjoys working independently, but likes to be part of a bigger team; understands and takes pride in the importance of this work; and has a sense of urgency.
 Ability to carefully and consistently follow test procedures.
 Comfortable with databases; working knowledge of SAP a plus.
 Excellent oral and written English skills.
 Ability to work under minimal supervision.
 Good team player, positive attitude, results driven.
 Ability to work Tuesday-Saturday. On Saturdays, the individual would normally be the only one in the building.
Education/Experience:
B.S. in Chemistry, Biology, or Food Science with 1-4 years QC experience.

Back