Jet burner mounting distance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I attempted to use the 23 tip natural gas version of that burner in my rig. It was difficult to control the flame. It was mounted 6 inches from burner-tip to bottom of keggle. Flames rolled a good 6 inches up the side of the pot. Choking the gas down caused a lot of soot build up. I switched to the 10tip model to remedy the situation.

I'm sorry to say that you'll be frustrated with these burners. They have to be mounted that far away so that the base air intakes will be pulling in fresh air rather than CO. They are only adjustable from Medium to High and there's a good chance that Medium is still going to melt your face off.

I'm sorry to say that you'll be frustrated with these burners. They have to be mounted that far away so that the base air intakes will be pulling in fresh air rather than CO. They are only adjustable from Medium to High and there's a good chance that Medium is still going to melt your face off.

So true, when I initially used this burner I thought for sure I was going to melt something, so I did some reengineering of the burner. What I did was turn a 23 tip burner into a 10 tip burner, removing tips and arranging tips so that they point toward one another. I bought plugs at ACE hardware to plug up the empty holes, though I found some holes larger then others. I ended up using a bit of JB weld on each plug to ensure a good seal. One could also just get a 10 tip burner, at the time I was unable to find one.

With my new redesigned 10 tip burner I was able to raise the burner closer to the bottom of my HLT, I really feel this burner works best with my low pressure honeywell gas valve, I've been able to heat 13 gallons of 70 degree water to 170 in just under an hour.

I've fought poor burner performance since the beginning of my build, originally I had two banjo burners, while the BK burner worked good the HLT burner never performed well, since switching to a jet burner under my HLT, time to temp and LP consumption as improved, meaning less time to temp and less LP usage.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Yeag I think I am going to try plug some of the jets

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back