JC A419 temp controller question-

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tronnyjenkins

Reaction score
I'm using a chest freezer and the Johnson controls A419 to control the fermentation temps. I properly set the SP (65) and DIF (3) but for some reason, it lets the freezer cool all the way down to 52 before shutting it down. Any ideas?

Is the green light on still when it hits 61? Also, is there anything in the freezer when testing this? My experience is that if the freezer is empty, the freezer will actually get colder but with carboy it the freezer with a brew it will stay pretty constant.

I need to check for the green light. Maybe it's something to do with the freezer (though I don't see how if it doesn't have power?). It contains my 5 gallons of beer in a carboy. Luckily the SA-05 isn't picky! It finished fermenting at the odd range of 52-65 just as fast it would any other time! I'm sure the beer temperature was fairly even through there.

Still odd though.

I personally don't worry so much about the ambient temp. I use the sticky thermometer on the carboy to judge the temp on the fermenter and adjust the controller to get it where I need it.

Once you learn your freezer and controller, you'll know how to adjust for what you want.

Back