JB Waterweld

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillsboro

Reaction score
Hey guys - has anyone had any luck with waterweld inside a cooler mashtun?

Anyone ruin a beer or get sick from it?

There are lots of different types of epoxy resins out there. You would have to look at the MSDS, manufacturer recommendations and if it's food safe.

Also consider how you are trying to use it...would silicone, or another adhesive, work instead.

What are you trying to do?

There are lots of different types of epoxy resins out there. You would have to look at the MSDS, manufacturer recommendations and if it's food safe.

Also consider how you are trying to use it...would silicone, or another adhesive, work instead.

What are you trying to do?

I'm trying to fix a leaky mash tun. The hole where the fittings go is stretched out and has a dimple at the bottom that seems to be impossible to fix with more o-rings or flat washers.

I have used it to fix a bung fitting in my smaller mash tun with no ill effects but i only use the small tun 1-2 times a year

Hey guys - has anyone had any luck with waterweld inside a cooler mashtun?

Anyone ruin a beer or get sick from it?

I've had exactly the opposite - an utter failure with JB waterweld (which IS food safe). It simply flaked up after a couple uses on the high-stress opening of a cooler. It simply does not adhere much (if at all) to HDPE - as is the case for most fixes.

After much research, I came across what I considered to be probably the most effective and longterm fix. It was "welding" in some HDPE into the cracks inside the cooler. I was almost about to try it until I decided, "screw it", and bought a new cooler for ~$20.

I've had exactly the opposite - an utter failure with JB waterweld (which IS food safe). It simply flaked up after a couple uses on the high-stress opening of a cooler. It simply does not adhere much (if at all) to HDPE - as is the case for most fixes.

After much research, I came across what I considered to be probably the most effective and longterm fix. It was "welding" in some HDPE into the cracks inside the cooler. I was almost about to try it until I decided, "screw it", and bought a new cooler for ~$20.

Yeah...I'm thinking I'll try it on my next brew day (Monday) and if I get any leaking, i'll just pick up a new cooler.

Thanks guys.

Latest posts

Back