Jarhill Stainless Kettle - 49qt for 5 Gallon Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgrimm101

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade my brew kettle and want a 40qt stainless kettle for my 5 gallon batches. Ideally 1 port for a valve for easy transfer to my primary.

I am looking at this 12.25 gallon Jarhill kettle on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jarhill-18-...-Valve-Avail-in-4-Sz-/261982788967?rmvSB=true

It is really cheap and looks like the perfect size for a boil kettle for my situation. However, I am seeing that these kettles can corrode because they are 18/0 stainless. I also see that the handles can rust on the outside, and sometimes on the inside. My main concern is that the bottom would be too thin to boil on a propane burner..also, it says it's 1mm all around, but looking at those handles and assuming the bottom is thin, I wouldn't want to carry this thing around while it's full..

1.) Is there anything I can do to support the bottom of the kettle on the burner? Maybe a sheet of stainless flashing between the kettle and the burner?

2.) Would cleaning it with Bar Keeper's Friend before the first use help to passivize it and help prevent corrosion?

3.) It looks like a weldless fitting, and I have no experience with that. Should I be concerned about the O-rings on the inside during the boil?

Does anyone have any experience with these Jarhill kettles? It looks like too good of a value to be true. I just want to consider all of the pros and cons.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've looked at these, but I really wanted a port so I can install a valve on it. I've also looked at the ported Bayou Classic kettles, but I've read many bad reviews about the lubricant they use on the valves that I'm scared to get one..

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C8HQ01Q/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

You can add your own holes. I purchased 3 of these and added 7 ball vales to them and didn't have any issues.

The ball vales I purchased used a 22mm or 7/8" bi-metal hole saw. I used a lot of cutting oil and then clean afterwards. You can save a lot of money by doing it yourself.

If you want to get a pot with the ball valve already attached the Bayou Classic pots are good quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the weldless valves are reliable?

The Bayou Classic with a valve look good but like I said, I've read too many reviews of people who say the valve has some sort of oil based lubricant that has a strong smell and does not come clean very easily (if at all)

Weldless is very reliable. I believe all cutting oil is oil based. I cleaned up with warm water and oxyclean free and the smell is gone and I haven't noticed any off flavors.

If you only need 1 ball valve buying something that is already installed maybe the way to go because there are tools, washers, o-rings,etc that you'll need to purchase (if you don't already have). If you are doing multiple ball valves, multiple pots or just want to have the tools and parts on hand then doing it yourself is the way to go.

Weldless is very reliable. I believe all cutting oil is oil based. I cleaned up with warm water and oxyclean free and the smell is gone and I haven't noticed any off flavors.

If you only need 1 ball valve buying something that is already installed maybe the way to go because there are tools, washers, o-rings,etc that you'll need to purchase (if you don't already have). If you are doing multiple ball valves, multiple pots or just want to have the tools and parts on hand then doing it yourself is the way to go.

I think the lubricant they are talking about is used in the valve itself..not to cut the port.

I think the lubricant they are talking about is used in the valve itself..not to cut the port.

I'm sure it still ok. All metal will have some fabrication oil, I wouldn't worry about it. Just clean with warm water and soap. You can also run a boil through it just to make sure.

This is what has me worried..

Clipboard01sdd.jpg

Based on Bayou Classic's website, it looks like the Bayou Classic is only 0.8 mm and doesn't have a reinforced bottom or anything, so ti looks pretty much on par with the Jarhill. The Jarhill is 1mm. What makes the Bayou Classic burner any better?

Based on Bayou Classic's website, it looks like the Bayou Classic is only 0.8 mm and doesn't have a reinforced bottom or anything, so ti looks pretty much on par with the Jarhill. The Jarhill is 1mm. What makes the Bayou Classic burner any better?

I haven't had any issues. No rust spots, no buckling, holds heat nicely. I purchased from Wayfair and the first one I ordered had a big dent, I called them and they sent me a replacement that day. I don't think you are going to get that from an ebay order.

It's good to hear you haven't had any issues. Currently, I'm more concerned with performance..

Check these guys out. I ordered one with just a valve. Will be in tomorrow.
http://www.cobrewingsystems.com/products/brew-kettle

Is there an option to just have 1 port? I don't want to pay for 2 if I'm not going to install a thermometer.

After choosing my options (valve and volume etching) this one costs almost as much as the big name brand kettles from a brew site..

Also, I've looked into the NPT vs Tri-clamp fittings and can't seem to tell how the Tri-clamp works..

Is there an option to just have 1 port? I don't want to pay for 2 if I'm not going to install a thermometer.

After choosing my options (valve and volume etching) this one costs almost as much as the big name brand kettles from a brew site..

Also, I've looked into the NPT vs Tri-clamp fittings and can't seem to tell how the Tri-clamp works..

Yes, I only have the ball valve and Tim knocked off $15. Send him an email with a request. he responds quickly.
I can't vouch for the quality as I do not have my kettle yet. It is scheduled to arrive tomorrow and I'll post some photo's if you want.

I questioned Tim on the Tri-Clamp fittings. they seem nice but more expensive so I opted for the nipple fitting.

I checked around before buying the kettle from Colorado Brewing and they were cheaper by far. I also looked at Spike Brewing and they were my second choice but were more expensive.
Spike Brewing does have a few kettles in their bargain cave. Might want to check those out.

I e-mailed the guy at CoBrewing. It looks like exactly what I want, I just want to make sure of a few things. Thanks!

Back