Janky aluminum pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slamback

Reaction score
I have been brewing for about a year in a 36 qt aluminum pot that I got at an Asian/Mexican grocery store for $25. I (and competition) judges have noticed a metallic/acrid taste in my beers, especially my last 4 or 5 batches. I have read multiple times that aluminum pots have no effect on the taste, but I'm thinking that HAS to be my problem. I'm wondering if there are different "grades" of alum. pots & if I just got the jankiest kind... I mean you get what you pay for, right?

I'm getting a new stainless steel 40 qt pot for Christmas so I guess I'll find out. I still need to use the aluminum to heat my sparge water, though.

Any thoughts or reflections ?

how about fermentation temperatures? Or do you have the water tested... the new pot might just eliminate the pot from the possible causes.

Have you changed how you clean the pot or what cleaner / sanitizer you use? Aluminum forms a protective film of Al oxide that you dont want to scrub off to a high polish after each batch.

Back