Jaded CFC vs. STAINLESS CONVOLUTED COUNTERFLOW CHILLER

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegerators

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has had experiences with either of these CFCs and what they thought of them? I am leaning toward the Jaded because it can be cleaned and visually inspected clean.

I'm currently using a plate chiller that clogs regularly. Over it and ready to move to something more reliable.

Just curious since I am in the market. Do you regularly backflush and clean your plate chiller and what brand do you have? Also, are you using some sort of hop spider in your boil kettle? I was considering a Blichmann and I use a SS spider, but I am just a little concerned too.

I'm using a Shirron plate chiller with this trub filter on the outlet of my boil kettle.

https://www.brewershardware.com/FILTER1.html

Think I am going to get the additional 0.2mm Filter Net for the strainer and add it after my pump instead of in front of it.

I have soaked my plate chiller 3 or 4 times in PBW and also baked it at 500F for 30 mins.

I have been using this dual action hand pump (http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/intex-14-high-output-hand-pump/pid-93203?N=830450254) to push the PBW in and out with some nice force. TONS of guk came out and continues. I'll just repeat until it runs clear.

I was wondering which one you went for? I'm also really interested in the Jaded CFC.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I use the JaDeD CFC and have been quite happy with it. I've only used it with 2 batches so far but clean up was super easy and it seemed to cool my wort effectively. I don't have anything to compare it to though for cooling effectiveness as I recently built out my new system after being out of the game for a while.

I know this is an old post but wanted to weigh in. I have the Stainless CFC from Williams Brewing with 1/2npt fittings. The fittings are brass and that kinda irks me a bit. It works great in my process. I use it as a HERMS coil cycling my hot liquor through it to regulate mash temps. I'm also interested in the jaded cfc for ease of cleaning and no brass. One could also be made of stainless bug I imagine that would put it in the $200+ range.

For chilling I chill to 100F with tap then dump 10lbs of ice into a bucket withy old 50' 1/2 copper chiller to really supercharge the last 30-40 degrees of drop. I wonder if the jaded model would work equally as well for my HERMS needs though...

Back