Jacketed SS Milk Jug.... Ideas Welcome.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agnar

Reaction score
Alright boys and girls. I found this sweet old SS milk jug and would like ideas or tips for what to do with it. It is jacketed, but the welds are ****e and I have no lid, so I'm thinking HLT or mash tun. The spigot hole on the inside is right flush with the bottom of the thing so a dip tube is not an option. Might be tough to get a false bottom in there. Anyway, just thought I'd ask for ideas while I test its ability to hold temp for an hour.

Thanks.

IMG_20160810_185305.jpg

IMG_20160810_185324.jpg

Make a jacket for it with reflectix and muffler tape, use it as a mash tun. without the jacket you could probably direct fire it, just not sure about the stability of the spigot (looks plastic). Can you swap that out for a camlock fitting? Might could use a SS braid for a manifold since a false bottom may be a challenge...

Might be hard to clean as a Mash tun but you cold make an insulated lid and use a bag that hangs from the top to put your grains in and drain using the spigot. If it's jacketed you can't heat it. But you could also make a lid and use it for a fermenter.

Make a jacket for it with reflectix and muffler tape, use it as a mash tun. without the jacket you could probably direct fire it, just not sure about the stability of the spigot (looks plastic). Can you swap that out for a camlock fitting? Might could use a SS braid for a manifold since a false bottom may be a challenge...

That's what I was thinking regarding the braided Ss, but I have another idea. I'll try to take pics. Also, it holds temp very good without any extra jacket. Good idea with the cam lock, it is plastic and I think a cam lock would work. It just has to be very small.

looks like those fancy SS mash tuns that Brulosopher uses, why dont try it for a mash tun? are you concerned the welds are so bad you can't clean it?

Might be hard to clean as a Mash tun but you cold make an insulated lid and use a bag that hangs from the top to put your grains in and drain using the spigot. If it's jacketed you can't heat it. But you could also make a lid and use it for a fermenter.

Good call on not heating. I forgot about the small issue of pressure and heat equals cool face scars or death.

Won't work as a fermenter, the welds are absolute crap. I might even be concerned of it souring a mash, but I will only be sticking to the usual hour mash. I don't think that's long enough to sour a mash.

I have something pretty similar that i use as a mash tun. Mine is an Aervoid. I got a false bottom from NorCal (it folds in half and easily fits through the opening) and after figuring out that the thread on the output matches "Beer Thread" have a few options for adapters on the output that get me to either NPT or TC. I found an old pot lid that fits the top.

Back