I've pulled a stupid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

45_70sharps

Reaction score
Well I guess with all the people out there showing how dumb they can be, like the guy with the 15 year old Mister beer kit, I had to go and try and top them last night.

I brought home a brand new full CO2 tank last night and since when my other tank went dry my beer sort of flattened out I went ahead and hooked it up to the kegorator and turned up the pressure a bit last night.
I had every intention of giving it 15 or 20 minutes and then turning off the gas but it was late and I fell asleep.
When I got up this morning I looked inside the freezer and this is what I saw.
That was a full keg and there is maybe a gallon left in it now.
I haven't done my kegorator build yet so I just have the gas line run in through the back wall and then I have picnic taps inside.
I never even opened the lid when I hooked up the gas so I didn't realize the picnic tap was still hooked up.
I have the gas at about 30 pounds because I found that if I do that and then turn it down to about 10 the next morning in a couple of days all I have to do is bleed of some pressure, given an hour or 2 to settle out and I've got good beer.
Well the picnic tap really isn't designed for that much pressure so all night long it's sprayed beer inside the freezer.
To make matters worse, I have to go out of town to fill a bottle againI AND I let my supply line get behind so I've got a pumpkin ale that will be ready in a week or two and a honey wit that's a few weeks behind that.
I highly doubt the Pumpkin Ale is going to be something I want to drink much of, it was just something I decided to do for a holiday beer.
I almost went the extra 60 miles on the round trip to go to a different town to get my CO2 yesterday just so I could go by the brew store and pick up something like a simple Pale Ale would finish out faster and help fill up an extra keg.
Now because I didn't pay attention to what I was doing I wasted $11 worth of CO2 and I'm not going to have any homebrew for a while.
For the upside of it, I think this week I'm going to get to welding my wheeled cart to goes under the freezer so that I will have whatever height it comes out to and can then build the top half so that it comes out the same height as my bar.
The liquid out line should have been disconnected when I put the higher pressure on it, but with a regular tap instead of a picnic tap it probably would have been fine.
I'm also going to bite the bullet and buy a spare CO2 tank.
Damn that was stupid and expensive. It wasn't a cheap beer or one that finishes out fast that I filled the freezer with either.

ForumRunner_20121111_113350.jpg

At least it is contained in your freezer vs all over the floor. I feel for ya! It is not if you loose a keg of beer, it is when!!

At least it is contained in your freezer vs all over the floor. I feel for ya! It is not if you loose a keg of beer, it is when!!

But I lost one due to being dumb, tired and not paying attention. Plus I let the supply line get behind! That was also dumb.
I'm going to be looking at..... Store bought beer for a while!!
I just got the old beer thief out and gave that pumpkin ale a try. It's for sure I won't be drinking a bunch of that. Maybe if I bottle it and give it a year to age and have it next holiday season...

I have lost two store bought kegs due to a faucet being sticky and not closing all the way , a tiny drip increasing overnight will drain one off .

Back