I've got some grain and hops from like 3 years ago

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natural

Reaction score
Hey,

I bought a bunch of hops and grains three years ago. All of the grains were kept dry and in their bags. The hops were vacuum sealed and always kept in the fridge over this time.

Are any of these ingredients still useable? It would be such a shame to waste them. But i'm finally able to brew again.

If it's your first time back after a long time, wouldn't you rather be sure of your ingredients? If using those 3-year-old ingredients results in a bad batch, would you know if it's due to the ingredients or just a rusty process?

I wouldn't use them. But if you do, please report on the results. Good luck!

If it's your first time back after a long time, wouldn't you rather be sure of your ingredients? If using those 3-year-old ingredients results in a bad batch, would you know if it's due to the ingredients or just a rusty process?

I wouldn't use them. But if you do, please report on the results. Good luck!
Yeah, I've made two batches of beer so far but I purchased all new grains and hops for those because I didn't want them to be a dud. I suppose I could make a pretty simple batch and see how it turns out. I think you mostly lose the alpha acid effectiveness from the hops but i'm not completely sure.

You can taste your grains to see if they taste stale or fresh. If they taste good, the only issue is they might not convert as completely so your OG might be a little low. Not the end of the world.

For your hops, open the bag and give them a smell. If they smell like blue cheese, they are going to be a little funky in the brew (but that might be interesting too).

3 year old grain? I am surprised there is no bugs in the grain to be honest. I toss out bagged grain after a year in the store. If I bought a bag of something for whatever reason and its a year old. OUT IT GOES! My customers that raise chickens get it.
On to the HOPS. You can use the hop calculators and get close to the current AA%.

All that being said. I would toss it all and start over. OR use it knowing its ONLY because you want to sharpen your process back before you buy new stuff. You may find out your missing a transfer hose or something and need to improvise if you haven't brewed in 3 years.
Just a few things to think about. Welcome back the the process!

Cheers
Jay

You can taste your grains to see if they taste stale or fresh. If they taste good, the only issue is they might not convert as completely so your OG might be a little low. Not the end of the world.

For your hops, open the bag and give them a smell. If they smell like blue cheese, they are going to be a little funky in the brew (but that might be interesting too).

I'm looking for the "ICK" button after this. Can't find one! :)

Yeah honestly the hops all smell fantastic, i've eaten the grains, no bugs. They were all sealed with zip ties and stored in a dark dry area. I didn't taste all the grains albeit but the chocolate pale and the honey tasted completely fine. No stale taste at all. I'll toss some in and see how it all comes out and I guess i'll know haha.

The only thing you have to lose is time and yeast. I would brew a quick batch with it: 30 minute mash, 30 minute boil. Pitch a pack of dry yeast. If it's poor you can dump it later.

Lambics use aged hops. Not sure if you have a brew club close by that someone maybe interested in them or an experiment on the wild side. They're used for their antiseptic qualities over they're loss in bitterness.

Back