I've got rust on my burner :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would turn it over to get those chips out, then do nothing else. Anything you put on it will just burn off and the rust will return. Mine look like that and are 4 and 5 years old.

Fire defined is an oxidation process. And voila, rust! Don't worry about it. You can clean it up and spray it with high temp paint every so often if you want. It sorta works.

I have a King Kooker from the 80s that looks a heck of a lot worse than that. Still fires up every time I need it. Just make sure that there is nothing in the burner itself and you should be good to go........or the more expensive option (that will eventually be brought up, if not in jest) is to get a Blichmann.
:mug:

I have a King Kooker from the 80s that looks a heck of a lot worse than that. Still fires up every time I need it. Just make sure that there is nothing in the burner itself and you should be good to go........or the more expensive option (that will eventually be brought up, if not in jest) is to get a Blichmann.
:mug:

Nope. Have a Blichmann, can confirm the actual cast iron burner part rusts.

The stand and all the rest doesn't but the burner element itself for sure does.

Use a wire brush to knock off the scale every once in a while. You can spray it down with some WD40 after you use it and that will slow the rust down a little. It will burn off completely during use so it's a constant battle.

Thanks everybody!

Btw, this is a Bayou Classic Burner, and whatever they coated it in burned off within the first 10 minutes (A real mess too). So I'll pass on high heat paint, and rock it until it cracks I guess.

Back