I've got mould

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kombuchinism

Reaction score
Could I save this scoby or toss it? I have a white mould in another jar too.

IMG_2168.jpg

IMG_2165.jpg

IMG_2171.JPG

IMG_2170.JPG

Another layer of scoby formed over mould on this one and doesn't seem clear in the image but I can see it with my eyes.

IMG_2173.jpg

I'm curious. Was your fermenting brew acidic? Did you get a pH reading? From my limited experience the brew must be acidic (at least a pH 5) and keep the temperature above 70F.

I did have mould once and I believe it was a temperature problem when my brew fell below 70F for several days. Now I brew at 78-80F and it takes less than 7 days.

Paul

I'm curious. Was your fermenting brew acidic? Did you get a pH reading? From my limited experience the brew must be acidic (at least a pH 5) and keep the temperature above 70F.

I did have mould once and I believe it was a temperature problem when my brew fell below 70F for several days. Now I brew at 78-80F and it takes less than 7 days.

Paul
I took a ph reading on the strips and it was in the middle of 1 and 3. It may have been very warm in the room I moved it in another room that has a air conditioner. I may have managed to save jar#2 because whatever white mould like thing that appeared on day 2 are gone and another layer of scoby formed over it. There's a dark spot below the scoby but I'm not very sure if it's a mould, it may just be normal. I want to leave it there little longer than my usual 7 days to observe any new mould. I hope this jar makes it, would be dreadful to buy a scoby again.

Back