ive already started brewing and realized that NB didnt include an ingrediant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perfecxion

Reaction score
it looks like i only have 1 lb of the soft brown candi sugar when the recipe calls for 2lbs with 10min left in the boil. i already begun mashing and draining wort into the kettle. should i substitute the missing 1lb with corn sugar, or dme, or just use the 1 lb i have and see how it turns out?

I'm not sure if that is completely fermentable or not. If it is I'd go with the corn sugar, if not the DME. Also depends, if you prefer more mouthfeel then go with the DME, if you prefer dry then go corn sugar.

Whatever you decide, be at ease with your decision - I doubt this will make or break the beer.

**hijacking thread alert**

If you can use brown sugar and it's exactly the same, why bother with candi sugar in the first place?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

If you can use brown sugar and it's exactly the same, why bother with candi sugar in the first place?

Good question!!! At least he got an answer before the thread was hijacked.

i tried the two brown sugars side by side and theyre damn similar in appearance and taste but maybe not quite identical. pre boil OG was like 1.04 and after the boil and all that sugar it bumped all the way up to 1.081 (supposed to be 1.084), and the airlock is bubbling like mad so everything appears good.

one question:

im boiling on a stove top and havent really been able to get the boiling temp over 210 F, so i dont quite have as vigorous a boil as maybe ideal. And during a 60 min boil im only losing like 1/2 a galllon of water. how big a problem is this? im going to buy a turkey fryer but are the last two batched i did going to have flavor issues due to a less than perfect boil?

Because they can sell it to you for $5. Can you get the same thing at the grocery for .79 cents? Of course, but the name isn't as cool ;)

Back