It's fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krayz605

Reaction score
This is my first run at making hard cider, and I decided to try 1 gallon first. It is a gallon of Musselmann's apple juice, about a half pound of brown sugar, and a little bit of ginger root. The airlock is bubbling but I am wondering if I should have as much foam as I do on top.

image-2549531547.jpg

It is not giving off a displeasing smell, there just seems to be a lot building up at the top. Does this look normal?

Thanks all!

Yup, normal.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the top foam starts coming through the airlock. That is a tight amount of head space, even for cider.

Looks normal to me. What kind of yeast are you using? Some Champagne yeasts are particularly good at creating small amount of foam during fermentation.

The yeast is Nottingham. It is starting to just make it into the airlock, about a quarter inch, but it drops when the next bubble goes through.

Back