It's Concord harvest time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewD

Reaction score
We have about five 20 year old concords growing on our back porch. in the few years we have lived here, the grapes have been nothing more than a nuisance. On a whim, I decided to harvest the grapes today as they are perfect in my inexperienced opinion. My wife is interested in a concord melomel, and I am interested in racking a wheat ale onto 10 lbs of these guys.

What should I be doing to store these things? My wife is spraying the cobwebs off of about 40 pounds right now. We plan on soaking them next, then picking the grapes off of the stems. Should we be soaking them with campden before picking them off the stems? Or is campden safe to use just before racking beer onto the fruit? So the options as I see them are:

A) Rinse bunches. Soak bunches in Campden solution. Pick grapes from stems. Vacuum seal and freeze in 5 pound bags.

B) Same as above but omit the campden until we actually use the grapes.

A quick answer will result in instant good karma.

Latest posts

Back