It's been a helluva week!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StokedBrew

Reaction score
I'm no sympathetic fool, and seek no pity, but you know how sometimes you just have one of those weeks that just seems to get more and more f$!ked up. Here's my story of trivail, and perseverance!

Olympia, WA was hammered for over a week with unrelenting force by mother nature. First, an all-time record snow fall. Next day, an all time record ice storm. At this point the infrastructure of society was beginning to collapse, or so it seemed. Businesses were staying closed, roads impassable, trees were falling everywhere, threatening roads, homes, and power lines. So...... lose power for 6 days. That sucks, especially when you're in early fermentation of a Dunklewiezen, and your house and fermentation area dip to 40 degrees. The tropical fish tank goes caputz without heat, light, or circulation. Everything dead from a 4 year well established reef tank. Gone! I also spend endless hours shuttling my Dumerils Boa constrictor from house to house, attempting to keep her in a warm house while most of my friends and neighbors were losing power themselves.

Then my car gets broken into while I'm sleeping at a house who has a fireplace for their only source of heat, and like me, no power. The thieves steal an iPod, cables, 2 bags of clothing, my work shoes, and a checkbook. And a large pizza. So, I'm forced to go shopping in some poor conditions, and close out a bank account I had held for 14 years.

And just today I realize while my house was 40 degrees, the sanitized solution hooked up to the blow off hoses attached to the Dunkle had been sucked back into the fermenter, totally compromising the integrity of the beer! So now I've lost 10gallons of great beer.

Anyhow, the redemption tale is that just now I am making a San Diego Super Ale yeast starter so that i may brew tomorrow an all Summit IPA. Get the supply line going again and move on from what has been one helluva week.

Brew on my fellow Americans!!! (internationals too!)

Sorry you've had a rough time of it. On the batch that got suck back. I'd bottle and see if it turns out.:D

Bithead said:
Sorry you've had a rough time of it. On the batch that got suck back. I'd bottle and see if it turns out.:D

I was considering kegging it anyways. Its probably ruined, but maybe a litter of diluted star san doesn't kill a beer completely!? Anyone have experience with this?

StokedBrew said:
I was considering kegging it anyways. Its probably ruined, but maybe a litter of diluted star san doesn't kill a beer completely!? Anyone have experience with this?
Sorry about your crappy week, but rest assured that a couple mL of starsan will in NO WAY harm your beer!!! You probably put that much in there already by racking onto the starsan foam leftover in your fermentors after sanitizing.

You wouldn't be in the market for an adult male Dumerils or two would you? I have some we are thinking about selling. We've had then since they were popped out.

Hoping things turn around for you,

mthompson said:
Sorry about your crappy week, but rest assured that a couple mL of starsan will in NO WAY harm your beer!!! You probably put that much in there already by racking onto the starsan foam leftover in your fermentors after sanitizing.

You wouldn't be in the market for an adult male Dumerils or two would you? I have some we are thinking about selling. We've had then since they were popped out.

Hoping things turn around for you,

It was actually a full liter, which was sucked back in. A few ml I wouldn't be worried.
As for your Dumerils, I am interested but alas, we are very far apart. Mine is a 4 year old female, just about 6' long now. And she's a trooper, survived the cold and being moved between 4 houses over the last week!

keg it up, you will never know unless you taste it. I had about half a liter suck back into an oktoberfest and it still turned out excellent. (it was a 5 gallon batch so roughly the same ratio of beer to star san)

StokedBrew said:
It was actually a full liter, which was sucked back in. A few ml I wouldn't be worried.
As for your Dumerils, I am interested but alas, we are very far apart. Mine is a 4 year old female, just about 6' long now. And she's a trooper, survived the cold and being moved between 4 houses over the last week!

Should still be fine, starsan breaks down into inert substances. Won't know til you carb it; if it sucks.... You at least tried.

Our Dumerils are 4.5-5 ft. males, about 7 years old (have to check) . We can usually overnight for $40-50, and only ship when weather/temp forecasts are favorable.

Keep 'em in mind. Later,

Back