It's basically impossible to get drunk from sub 6% beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azura

Reaction score
And I don't mean falling of a stool drunk. I'm talking about being mildly drunk here. Had about six 5.2% beers yesterday and felt as sober as the Pope. The beer wasn't especially tasty either. The entire session was a waste of calories. I guess this is why I mostly brew 6.5-7.5% beers. 8% and up is the danger zone.

Seriously? You're a beast man.
Quantity of alcohol (ABV+volume) divided by time consumed= BAL (I know body mass enters into there too, but I'm too smashed on a 5.5% Graf plus a 6% Altbier that I had in the past 1/2 hour to bother with looking it up..... ;)

i been know to drink 8 duvel triple hops and a 6er of firestone union jack and still be fine..its all tolerance but dont get me wrong i would have failed a field sobriety test LOL

WOW - That was weird! Right in the middle of typing the whole site crashed on me. ANYWAY, I was gonna say I drank about 14 Blond Ales a little while back and I was feeling them a tad! They are only 4.7% Maybe you aren't holding them in the right hand.

Seriously? You're a beast man.
Quantity of alcohol (ABV+volume) divided by time consumed= BAL (I know body mass enters into there too, but I'm too smashed on a 5.5% Graf plus a 6% Altbier that I had in the past 1/2 hour to bother with looking it up..... ;)

Maybe I need to drink the lower ABV beers faster? That would disrupt a beer drinking pace that has been conditioned over many years. Not sure it's worth trying. Finding a reliable drinking pace is the most important skill a beer drinker can hone. Disrupting the pace could be dangerous.

Maybe I need to drink the lower ABV beers faster? That would disrupt a beer drinking pace that has been conditioned over many years. Not sure it's worth trying. Finding a reliable drinking pace is the most important skill a beer drinker can hone. Disrupting the pace could be dangerous.

Drink one, spill one, give one away. That's worked for me for decades. :cool:

i been know to drink 8 duvel triple hops and a 6er of firestone union jack and still be fine..its all tolerance but dont get me wrong i would have failed a field sobriety test LOL

Are you the same size as Andre the Giant?

This last summer I finished a sixer of 9% imperial brown. I had the bed spins and had to groan myself to sleep. I think what you have is better than the alternative.

This last summer I finished a sixer of 9% imperial brown. I had the bed spins and had to groan myself to sleep. I think what you have is better than the alternative.

Yep, that would wreck me too. I might even puke. The difference between 8% and 9% is huge.

And I don't mean falling of a stool drunk. I'm talking about being mildly drunk here. Had about six 5.2% beers yesterday and felt as sober as the Pope. The beer wasn't especially tasty either. The entire session was a waste of calories. I guess this is why I mostly brew 6.5-7.5% beers. 8% and up is the danger zone.

This is the bigger problem, IMO. I don't drink beer to get smashed. That is a side benefit or detriment depending on the degree of smashed. I drink beer because I like the taste and aroma. If I brew a beer of any ABV and I don't like it much, I mix one in with a few good beers over time until they are all gone.

Not sure what your definition of drunk is...

Back in the days when 3.2 beer was a thing, there were plenty of people who got DWIs after drinking in those bars. Fortunately, I was not one of them. It took a lot, but there were definitely a lot of people way over the BAC limit from that swill, and the limit was .10 then. Some LEOs I knew racked up a lot of busts.

Drink 6 of those 5.2% beers, blow into a breathalyzer and get back to us.

I recommend drinking for enjoyment vs trying to get drunk.

thumbs%20down%20gif.gif

This is the bigger problem, IMO. I don't drink beer to get smashed. That is a side benefit or detriment depending on the degree of smashed. I drink beer because I like the taste and aroma. If I brew a beer of any ABV and I don't like it much, I mix one in with a few good beers over time until they are all gone.

I'm similar to that now. Back in my college days, nobody drank to enjoy the flavor of the beer. I can remember buying a six pack of "decent" beer, then another case of something or other at $2.99/case. After the six pack was gone, it didn't matter much what the rest tasted like--nor could we really tell the difference.

But then, we weren't drinking for taste. :)

The worst drinking "game" I recall doing was a shot of beer every minute. Do the math. There comes a place where time stops. :)

I'm similar to that now. Back in my college days, nobody drank to enjoy the flavor of the beer. I can remember buying a six pack of "decent" beer, then another case of something or other at $2.99/case. After the six pack was gone, it didn't matter much what the rest tasted like--nor could we really tell the difference.

The worst drinking "game" I recall doing was a shot of beer every minute. Do the math. There comes a place where time stops. :)

I remember those days as well. I knew a few guys that joined the century club 100oz in 100 minutes and thought they were hot stuff. I played along for 36 oz once. That was enough.

I am finding though that now, my homebrew goes down a lot easier than the beers I used to buy. I try to keep it to 4 beers, and some days that will buzz me, other days not so much.

That's called power hour (60 shots of beer in an hour), usually performed with cheap BMC. Imagine trying that with an actual craft beer

I can't drink more than 2 beers around 6% over 2-3 hours without getting pretty buzzed. More than 3 beers over that time period and I'm probably going to get the spins.

Medicine I take, such as Victoza for diabetes and other high blood pressure meds limit what I can drink at night. Beer is carbohydrate and besides the fact that my medication and alcohol don't get along too well, it makes it hard to sit and consume any quantity of beer, and the higher the EtOH, the less I can enjoy. Sad part of getting old and having genetic contributed afflictions. I remember back in Nebraska, though, driving to Julesburg Colorado to a 3.2 beer place and you could get some buzz if you drank enough of that in short enough time. pissed a lot too! 3.2 is 3.2 w/w but actually works out to 4% ABV. :)

Whats in your belly plays a huge part as well as hydration and energy. I can feel tipsy on a few sips when I've worked myself to exhaustion, haven't eaten all day and have consumed nothing other than black coffee.

Well hydrated, full belly with fats and starches and well rested: takes a while for the buzz to start. The fat/starch slows blood alc absorption by binding the alcohol. By the time you have absorbed your pint, your body has metabolized 1/3 of your beer.

1/4 barrel of Schlitz Malt Liquor and 6 people... we drank it in 3 hours and went to get another one! Back when I was in my early 20's and indestructible! Now I like good beer and I enjoy it. If I drink 6 it might be over a 6 hour period or more...

Did the college stuff. Sometimes I could not tell you what I drank let alone how much. Now my tolerance is much lower.

If I just want to get a buzz. I drink rum or something. Or a lot of cheap beer. I almost never do that these days, so I drink my carefully crafted home brews for the taste, not the buzz.

Whats in your belly plays a huge part as well as hydration and energy. I can feel tipsy on a few sips when I've worked myself to exhaustion, haven't eaten all day and have consumed nothing other than black coffee.

Well hydrated, full belly with fats and starches and well rested: takes a while for the buzz to start. The fat/starch slows blood alc absorption by binding the alcohol. By the time you have absorbed your pint, your body has metabolized 1/3 of your beer.

A big factor is the amount of alcohol dehydrogenase in your body. Depending on your genetics you can have a small amount or a large amount. I imagine your body also temporarily adapts and makes more if you drink a lot.

Additionally carbonated beverages allow alcohol to enter your blood stream more quickly.

Weight and gender also plays a large role.

I can't drink more than 2 beers around 6% over 2-3 hours without getting pretty buzzed. More than 3 beers over that time period and I'm probably going to get the spins.
You are lucky seriously, your homebrew probably lasts a decent amount of time, im lucky to get a week out of a 5 gallon keg

You are lucky seriously, your homebrew probably lasts a decent amount of time, im lucky to get a week out of a 5 gallon keg

Between my wife and I a keg usually lasts 6 weeks. I drink around 7 glasses a week and my wife drinks maybe 5 a week. We usually drink a beer or two with dinner every night but I go for 10-14 ounce pours and her pours are closer to 8 ounces. I have a single keg setup right now but I'm planning to add 2-3 more next month. I'm guessing the kegs will last closer to 12 weeks depending on the beer after the expansion.

It's nice to have the keg last 6 weeks but usually by week 4 or 5 I'm getting excited about brewing another beer. That's a big reason why I'm adding more kegs. Also my chest freezer doubles as a fermentation chamber and keg storage - so I can't start brewing until the keg is kicked. Whenever I kick the keg it takes about 3 weeks before the next batch is ready to drink. During this time usually buy 5-6 6 packs and feel dumb about spending $50 on 3 weeks of beer when I can make 6 weeks of beer for half the cost.

My goal for 2018 is to be at the point where I can stop buying commercial beer all together. Part of that is expanding my kegs, moving the kegs to a larger chest freezer so the smaller freezer can be dedicated for fermentation, and getting a bottling gun so I can give my beer as a gift or easily bring it to parties instead of buying "rare" bottles from my local breweries for these occasions.

Last edited:
And I thought I drank my homebrew too fast!!!!! :mug:
I must say im not the only one drinking, me, my brother a few friends, we are all big drinkers and i am too generous with my beer

Back