It's a big fat conspiracy!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whippy

Reaction score
..and I don't like it NONE!

I'm sure those yeast people could double or even triple the amount of yeast they put in those little packs, but they don't because they are in cahoots with the malt extract people ... I just know it! :mad:

Kind of unrelated but this is how I feel about Sonic/Chick Fil A putting so much ice in your drink you barely have any liquid.

At least yeast reproduces.

Sure, and the donut shop could give me 24 donuts in the box every time I order a dozen, but why should they give away extra product? If you want more yeast, buy more, or make a yeast-starter and step it up a couple times.

In the mean time, I'm going to do some research on donut-starters to see if I can step up my breakfast a couple times....

Sure, and the donut shop could give me 24 donuts in the box every time I order a dozen, but why should they give away extra product? If you want more yeast, buy more, or make a yeast-starter and step it up a couple times.

In the mean time, I'm going to do some research on donut-starters to see if I can step up my breakfast a couple times....

That's the OP's whole point. If he wants enough yeast for his brew he needs to make a starter and buy DME. Thus the conspiracy charge. A better analogy would be hot dog makers and hot dog bun makers. There are 10 hot dogs in a pack, but only 8 buns. You have to get to 40 for a common multiple.

Ding Ding. What do we have for e'm Johnny???

No telling how many extra packs/vials of yeast have been sold to this patching rate theory they sell us. I'm not saying it's wrong, Lord knows I haven't done any research myself, but I'm not the kind of guy who just takes stuff at face value all the time. I would love to do some pitching rate experiments just to see the results.

That's the OP's whole point. If he wants enough yeast for his brew he needs to make a starter and buy DME. Thus the conspiracy charge. A better analogy would be hot dog makers and hot dog bun makers. There are 10 hot dogs in a pack, but only 8 buns. You have to get to 40 for a common multiple.

You don't have to buy any DME. Just buy more vials/yeast packs. If they included two or three times as much yeast in the pack they would probably charge two or three times as much.

Stepping up with DME seems cheaper to me though, and lets you verify the yeast is alive and active prior to pitching. I don't see a conspiracy (unless the whole pitching rate thing is a sham), since using DME is cheaper than just buying the proper (pitching) amount of yeast.

You don't have to buy any DME. Just buy more vials/yeast packs. If they included two or three times as much yeast in the pack they would probably charge two or three times as much.

Stepping up with DME seems cheaper to me though, and lets you verify the yeast is alive and active prior to pitching. I don't see a conspiracy (unless the whole pitching rate thing is a sham), since using DME is cheaper than just buying the proper (pitching) amount of yeast.

Yeah. I agree with you. And I not-so-secretly enjoy making starters. It gets me excited for brew day. 1 lb of DME can do several 1L starters, so it is not cost preventive. I only wanted to clarify what the OP was saying. He's annoyed, and I liken it to my mild annoyance with the hot dog example. Not enough to make me start a paramilitary campaign, but maybe I'd post something on a forum that responds well to humor. :fro:

Yes, before you take my post seriously.....don't! :p Thats why I'm in drunkin ramblins...just bored and wanting to post stupid ****.

....but I do now see I shouldn't post controversial stuff, so I'm sorry. I apologize. :tank:

Haha no need to apologize. I should know better than to respond seriously to anything in the drunk forum, which I didn't catch in my first reply. The OP was actually pretty funny, rereading it in that context. That's what I get for reading before my morning coffee has kicked in. Sometimes I'm a humorless dick in the mornings...

I can go to store and get 12 dogs in a pkg and 12 buns.

Latest posts

Back