ITC-1000F No Output Voltage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlonardo

EngiBEERing Since 2012
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I bought an ITC-1000F temp controller and got it all wired up last night following the instructions here:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pimp-my-system/build-temperature-controller/

I've checked and double checked and triple checked my wiring to make sure that I am following everything properly, but when it is either in heating or cooling mode there is no power supplied to the respective outlet.

I used a multimeter to check what the voltages were, and it doesn't seem like the controller is putting out enough voltage. When I hear the relay trip and measure the voltage from (heating or cooling) output to neutral, it's in the ~3V range. Do I have a jacked up ITC-1000? Or is there something I'm missing that I could have done wrong?

I just did maintenance on my STC-1000 less than 24 hours ago and while the diagram looks correct, can you take a pic of your actual wiring so I can trace things?

Just two things to consider
1) Did you break the metallic tab linking the upper and lower sockets? (you need to)
2) If you're going to go back into the unit for the photo, open up all the wire nuts, reset and restrip if necessary, and crank those puppies back down.

Compare against this one:

temp-controller-wiring-diagram.jpg

Let me know if you can make sense of it - it looks like a bit of a cluster.

The controller is upside down in the image, so pin 1 is on the right and 8 is on the right.

Also, the neutral and ground are not in the same nut, even though it looks like they are in the picture.

wiring.JPG

I was going to say everything is reversed but its not... I took a second look...

Does the unit power on?

ANOTHER question. Is there a flashing light on the LCD panel? Like a small circle?

The unit powers on and the temperature probe works properly.

There is the circle that indicates heating or cooling, but it is solid and I hear the relay switching when it comes on.

OKAY. I think I see the problem.

It looks like the circuit between #2 and #7 (cooling) is missing a link to the white wire on the main cord.

Does the heating side throw the same issue?

I think they're making a connection...#8 is on the bottom plug on the hot side, while #2 is on the top of the neutral side with the main white wire on the bottom of the neutral side connecting these to via the bridge.

There is no power to the outlet during heating OR cooling.

wiring2.JPG

I know - I just have the arrow showing that the pins are going from 1 on the right to 8 on the left rather than the other way around like in your diagram.

Do you have hot (black) going to 1,5,7 and neutral (white) going to the neutral side of outlet, then (via bridge) to 2, and one side of the hot on the outlet going to 6 and one going to 8? I cant see well enough.

Try checking voltage at the 6 and 8 terminal when their respective relay is closed. This will tell you if the problem is in the stc or downstream.

I think they're making a connection...#8 is on the bottom plug on the hot side, while #2 is on the top of the neutral side with the main white wire on the bottom of the neutral side connecting these to via the bridge.

There is no power to the outlet during heating OR cooling.

View attachment 365745

The photo looks like you have both ground and neutral going into the orange wire nut. Is this actually the case? If so, that is a no-no.

As far as your problem, I would redo the wire nuts to make sure all wires are well connected within them.

Brew on :mug:

No, the other wire nut is just hiding in the picture!

:mug:

The photo looks like you have both ground and neutral going into the orange wire nut. Is this actually the case? If so, that is a no-no.

As far as your problem, I would redo the wire nuts to make sure all wires are well connected within them.

Brew on :mug:

First thing to do is make sure that the unit is functioning properly. Disconnect all loads and set the temperature so that neither heating nor cooling is called for. There should be and open circuit (check with your ohm meter) betwee 5 and 6 and 7 and 8. Now dial the set point down until there is a call for heat. There should now be a short between 5 and 6 and an open between 7 & 8. Now raise the SP until there is a call for cooling. There should now be a short between & &* and an open between 5 & 6. If it functions properly you have wired it wrong and you can chase that.

Back