It started with a gift

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCache

Beer Supported Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all, about a year ago someone bought a brewers best kit for me (equipment and ingredients). It sat in my closet for about a year until I finally decided to try it in January, 2020. Have not stopped since. Have tried a few kits from various sellers (brewed an IPA from Great Fermentation's this morning) and one brew from a recipe. Doing mostly extract+steeping at this point, and will probably end up increasing my grain use until I hit all-grain. Having fun experimenting with flavors and variations ingredients. Had no idea there was so much to explore.

Looking forward to learning and imbibing as I go.

Welcome to the hobby! I think a lot of us can relate to your story. It usually starts with a gift from someone, if it's a spouse they learn to regret it! In my case it was only a book that got me hooked.

Welcome! I started off with all grain a little less than a year ago. It takes longer, is messier, and overall is a bit of a pain...but I love it. I have only ever done brew in a bag, but nothing compares to the smells of all that cracked 2 row.

Do you have a one gallon or a five gallon setup? I just made the leap from one to five myself.

Welcome! I started off with all grain a little less than a year ago. It takes longer, is messier, and overall is a bit of a pain...but I love it. I have only ever done brew in a bag, but nothing compares to the smells of all that cracked 2 row.

Do you have a one gallon or a five gallon setup? I just made the leap from one to five myself.

I have always done 5 gallons brews, though I am considering a one gallon set up so that I can run through some SMaSH brews to get a better sense of the flavors available.

Hard to go wrong with that! Hops are still a bit of a mystery to me so maybe I should experiment a little to get away from just cascade and northern brewer haha. I'm looking into dry hopping for my red ale as well.

Back