It so cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, hear 'ya. Brewed a batch last weekend. Same deal...it sucked, but worked out in the end with no boilover or anything.

brewed last weekend outside in 30 degree weather. ground water is cold enough that with the immersion chiller got the wort to 65 degrees in 20 minutes and only stirred it 3 times. it was a 5.5 gallon full boil.

brewed last weekend outside in 30 degree weather. ground water is cold enough that with the immersion chiller got the wort to 65 degrees in 20 minutes and only stirred it 3 times. it was a 5.5 gallon full boil.

I chilled mine down to 70, got it into the fermenter and be the time I got it into the house, it was at 60. Now I have to warm it up to pitch.

yep thats hardcore at these temps. I dont brew unless its 35 or above. I know I am a wimp. guess that also means that not much brewing will get done this winter. I feel its gonna be a cold one. time to move to warmer clims.

Glad I did mine last weekend. Was even colder last couple days. It's currently -18F and dropping. -18F is ambient, factor in wind chill and it's -40F.

That's why I brew inside and brew mainly in the winter. Heats up the house and add some humidity. The city water is ice cold so the chiller works real well too. Also an excuse to keep the house warmer then the wife normally does, need to keep the temp up for the beer.

I brewed last time when it was about 40f and my propane take froze up during a 2 hour boil. Why did that happen? Has that ever happened to anyone? I am using one of those tanks you find at all the gas stations.

I brewed last time when it was about 40f and my propane take froze up during a 2 hour boil. Why did that happen? Has that ever happened to anyone? I am using one of those tanks you find at all the gas stations.

Simplistically, as propane expands into gas, it absorbs heat. Although you may have been cursing it at the time, hopefully you weren't saying anything loud enough for your keezer to hear, considering that's how it keeps your beer cold!

It's a tough problem to combat, especially with a two hour boil. Try keeping the tank inside until you need it and having a spare warm tank to switch out if it freezes.

I have had that happen to the propane tank on the camper when I was using it in 30F weather. The way the propane comes out the valve it acts sort of like the orifice on a cooling system. The pressure drop and expansion causes the cooling effect. Now why it would freeze the valve, I don't know. You would think a petroleum product that is not an oil would still flow.

How fast were you burning off the propane? As a tank is emptied propane goes from liquid to gas, which uses heat and will freeze the tank if done too quickly... I've had it happen on a smaller scale with 1 lb tanks

I see others beat me to the answer!!

I had it on high (not at the highest point), but just high enough to get it to a boil in about 30 minutes or so. Then I turn it down to a nice rolling boil, but not too high. The price of propane at speedway, problems with freezing, and having to go to get it refilled in the middle of a boil are all reasons why I will switch to electric.

Propane is just too much of a PITA for me to deal with.

Latest posts

Back