Ispindel connection problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffoss

Reaction score
Is there anyone here with experience on iSpindel?
I have put together one with PCB v2.0 from OpenSourceDistilling.com, and standard available parts, among other things, D1 mini. It is fine to flash and calibrate my device, and everything seems to work just fine against my PC. The problem is that iSpindel does not log in to the Brewfather app. It seems that iSpindel does not connect to my internal network. Can't find it on the router in any case.

Has anyone been into this? Assuming that there is some setting, as everything seems to work on the device itself.

Some update.. I tried with an iPhone as a Personal Hotspot, and then it works! Something odd with my router perhaps - but what?

Some update.. I tried with an iPhone as a Personal Hotspot, and then it works! Something odd with my router perhaps - but what?
Hey
I am having the same issue. Have you find out a solution?

I’ve been at this for a month now and cannot get iSpinel to connect with my brewfather. How can I connect directly with my device using my Mac or IOS (iPhone or iPad) having to reset it to configuration mode (ie tapping the two pins four times) so I can manually get readings when it’s in the fermentor.

Fwiw. I tried unibots and no connection. The ispindel is not showing up on my AirPort Extreme not my airport express. I can connect to it directly in reset, the spindle WiFi shows up and connect to the browsers. It doesn’t seem to be able to connect via WiFi. Is there a way of confirming this?

What are the symptoms exactly ?
Does it keep the settings ? (When you go back to configuration mode, is everything back to default or are the specifics you entered in ?)
Have you taken logs ? (Check OpenSourceDistillery blog iSpindel Serial Monitor | Open Source Distilling and iSpindel Troubleshooting and Known Issues | Open Source Distilling )
What type of antenna is on the D1 mini ? PCB or Ceramic ?
Have you built it yourself ?
What type of security is your WiFi ? (AFAIK some security level are no good )

What are the symptoms exactly ?
Does it keep the settings ? (When you go back to configuration mode, is everything back to default or are the specifics you entered in ?)
Have you taken logs ? (Check OpenSourceDistillery blog iSpindel Serial Monitor | Open Source Distilling and iSpindel Troubleshooting and Known Issues | Open Source Distilling )
What type of antenna is on the D1 mini ? PCB or Ceramic ?
Have you built it yourself ?
What type of security is your WiFi ? (AFAIK some security level are no good )

It keeps the settings
I have not taken logs
u/k antenna - I bought on ebay
wifi is WPA2/WPA3 personal security

I changed the if connection to my iPhone personal hotspot and it showed up on Brewfather right away. So its a wifi connection issue with my home wifi using the apple extreme and Apple Express.

Not the end of the world. I will now see if I can turn off the hot spot and then back on to see of the ispindel will automatically re-connect when left on.

Edit update: I have an updated entry in brewfather after turning off the hot spot for a half hour and then turning it back on. Now I have to re-calibrate as I am sure the gyro is no longer in the same position after all that tinkering.

I’d prefer to trouble shoot the house WiFi issue but for now this is all I need.

Last edited:
Is your home wifi composed of 2.4 and 5 ghz networks that are named the same? I have seen wifi clients that act exactly as you are describing when they don’t truly support 5ghz.

If that is the case you might want to try separately named 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz networks. This is not always possible on all routers and you’d have to get a second router to plug into the first and configure it to be dedicated to one frequency.

Last edited:
Back